+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Peculiar FM Tuner fault

I'm Richard.

Default Peculiar FM Tuner fault

Hi,

I have a Pioneer F-656 FM tuner. All seems well (now I've fixed the aerial) except for one fault. I get a full signal for say 10-15 mins and then it drops with all the associated white noise etc. However, opening the lid and blowing/cooling the 2 output trannies (on heat sinks) temporarily alleviates the problem. I wonder if it's worth fixing as I have internet radio...but I still like the idea of my old tuner.

All the caps seem OK (in that there are no bulges) but three do have a load of white gunge at their bases (see pics if I can upload them OK).

IMG_0251.jpgIMG_0250.jpg

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Richard

I'm Jez.

They're probably voltage regulators.... or having spotted the Zener there, series pass transistors for a discrete but crude voltage regulator. It's just a question of whether or not it's worth fixing to you... I charge a pretty reasonable £30 an hour labour, which is also my minimum fee, and including P+P etc it would likely cost £50 ish to repair.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Richard.

Thanks Jez, just the feedback I needed. I'll bear it in mind.

Needless to say I wiggled the components, checked for dry joints etc. Thought the 4 caps near the heatsinks were a major suspect - but I can't always reproduce the fault/remedy!

Thanks again,
    Richard.

+ Reply to Thread