+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenco L75 turntable mat

I'm Gary.

Default Lenco L75 turntable mat

What's the consensus on different mats that anyone has tried?

Seeing that for other turntable's users have been trying metal mats thought I would try LP direct on platter.
    I think it sounds rather good.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andy.

Always found that I got good sound from the original rubber mat myself.
    Tried cork, felt and few others but always ended up back with the original one.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Andrew.

I've gone bonkers with mats on the Lenco. I started with a standard mat and then experimented for quite some time and ended up with a trio of mats consisting of Oscars Gimp mat + 3mm cork and then the original mat, this lasted for over a year, I then went onto the SPH mat, tried the Tenuto and finally ended up the Crystal mat.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I've gone bonkers with mats on the Lenco. I started with a standard mat and then experimented for quite some time and ended up with a trio of mats consisting of Oscars Gimp mat + 3mm cork and then the original mat, this lasted for over a year, I then went onto the SPH mat, tried the Tenuto and finally ended up the Crystal mat.
    I'm sure you kept the VTA the same with each change .

I'm Brian.

I've tried quite a few mats too and always end up using the original rubber mat . I will get a Crystal mat to try when funds are available .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

For a stock GL75, nowt at all wrong with the one it came with. the GL78 mat is good too imo. My take is that heavy rubbery ones may be better than a light foam Spacemat or Funk Achromat or any of the acrylic discs out there, as these seemed to take some of the power out of the sound (I'm rapidly realising that 'sonic truth to the master source' is the last thing many vinyl lovers want, so anything goes basically)... I didn't try cork when I had one set up.

One type I found DIDN'T work at the time was the wool/felt Linn and Rega mats. As always, ymmv on that.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder5 View Post
    I'm sure you kept the VTA the same with each change .
    Yes, painstaking as it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    For a stock GL75, nowt at all wrong with the one it came with. the GL78 mat is good too imo. My take is that heavy rubbery ones may be better than a light foam Spacemat or Funk Achromat or any of the acrylic discs out there, as these seemed to take some of the power out of the sound (I'm rapidly realising that 'sonic truth to the master source' is the last thing many vinyl lovers want, so anything goes basically)... I didn't try cork when I had one set up.

One type I found DIDN'T work at the time was the wool/felt Linn and Rega mats. As always, ymmv on that.
    I agree. Have you ever read any of the discussions on the LINN forums with respects the to weave orientation of the platter mat . The LP12 was an excellent deck when I owned one but now I'm happy that I've moved on.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can't really discuss the LP12 without a healthy 50:50 dose of love and loathe... Thirty odd years ago, I was swapping the mat round and claiming to hear a difference, belts upside down and inside out (there is a slightly smoother side when new and the smoother side used to be the 'better' side I recall) and even went as far as 'directionalising' the fuses (shades of another forum here ).

Then I heard a Spacedeck with RB300* at half the price sound 'rather better' than an LP12/Ittok (same K9 stylus used) and it kind of made a mockery of the whole thing for me. Current spec LP12's have changed a lot - as well as looking similar - and they DO now sound an awful lot tauter and clearer these days than I remembered.

* Rega 8 aside, I still find a Spacedeck was one of the few turntables able to make a stock RB300 sing out in a highly musical sense. To me, this deck didn't 'sit on' the RB300as many other popular models did - and everyone blamed the arm, which I don't think was totally fair. Rega have altered the arm mountings since and tweaked the arm-tube casting inside to make it better with more normal turntable types.

I'm going off on one again - apologies all...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Andrew.

Well I never heard the thing about messing around with the belt, that's a new one. I have never tried a felt mat on the Lenco and I don't think I want to. I always think back to some of the big JAP decks where metal and glass have been used as platter mats and then I think of the Tenuto platter mat, they must have been doing something right. I currently run three decks, a 301, 1210 and a Lenco 75. Two of the decks run metal platter mats (301/1210) whilst the 75 has a crystal mat plonked on the platter. I've never heard the 5mm versions of the Tenuto or SPH mats but supposedly they eek a little more detail.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Gary.

Back to part of my original post

Anyone else tried direct to platter?

Gary

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast