+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: New Footy Season 2017/18 ..How's your team doing?

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    watching the Spurs game v Dortmund. Great start 1-0 (Son)
    great game. 2-1 spurs. 3 super goals
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Brian,

How's it going? Hope you're well

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    Its very sad, but the hard fact is that Scottish football is just terrible these days.
    I know where you're coming from, but I think that there's some cause for optimism with this current Scotland team, even if we don't qualify for Russia. There's the nucleus of a good team there, and with a lot of quality young players, such as Burke coming through, the future looks bright.

The days when Celtic and Rangers were competing at European level are now 40/50 years ago.
    Things move on, mainly due to money, but we are now a 3rd/4th rate football nation.
    The money side is defo a factor, but if Pedro can build a decent Rangers team (and I believe he can), with BR doing his magic at Celtic for at least another 4 years, and some other good managers in the league, such as your own man Tommy Wright, and who's doing great things with St Johnstone, things aren't as bleak as they might seem.

Hey, I've always been a 'glass half-full' kind of guy!

Even Celtic, who are way ahead of the rest up there, wouldnt stand a chance in the English Premier, and in fact in my view would not win promotion out of the Championship.
    Does that include the 3-3 and 1-1 draws we had last season against Man City, with all their multiple millions, where we should've won both games? Or the wins in recent times at Celtic Park against Barcelona, Man Utd, Juventus and Liverpool, and us twice qualifying for the last 16 of the Champions League?

No, the reality is that more often than not, a full-strength Celtic team can hold their own against anyone at home. The "not" bit comes against teams like PSG, who can simply cherry-pick the world's best players and fill their team with them. Based on what I seen last night, I reckon they'd easily win the EPL.

As for Celtic not standing a chance in the EPL or even winning promotion out of the English Championship, I think you're way off beam there, too. We hammered Sunderland 5-0 (going on 7 or 8), at the Stadium of Light, in a pre-season friendly, who'd just come down from the EPL, and who no doubt would be one of the favourites this season to win the Championship.

Aside from anything else, you're forgetting that down there Celtic would receive multiple millions of pounds from Sky, rather than the pittance they currently get in Scotland, and with that they'd be able to buy much better players, and with better players and the HUGE support they've got, the sky's the limit (no pun intended).

The reality is that Celtic are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with the fan base and history to back it up, so all they need to compete with the really big boys (in a financial sense), is access to the big money they earn, and then anything's possible. The ONLY thing limiting what Celtic could achieve and become is money.

They've already shown they can compete with and beat some of the top teams in the EPL, even now, and with considerable more money in the coffers from Sky, that task would simply be made easier.

Even my team, St Johnstone, look bad, and they are generally regarded as the most skillful team in Scotland.
    <Cough> Haha... Good job you put a smiley at the end!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Does that include the 3-3 and 1-1 draws we had last season against Man City, with all their multiple millions, where we should've won both games?
    The 3-3 at yours was a tough game.
    I wouldn't make too much of the game at ours - we were through to the next round, and put out a very weakened side. It was nice to see Pat Roberts knock one in again
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

Decent result for City last night.
    Comedy goal within 2 minutes, and what followed was very heartening to watch.
    We had Feyenoord on the ropes for most of it, and our keeper only had one strike on target to deal with.

I've not seen City play with such ruthless determination since last Saturday
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 14-09-2017 at 07:56.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    The 3-3 at yours was a tough game.
    I wouldn't make too much of the game at ours - we were through to the next round, and put out a very weakened side. It was nice to see Pat Roberts knock one in again
    Yeah sure, Chris, but I doubt your guys would've been going onto the park not to do their best and try and win the game, or that the manager wouldn't have demanded it. Professional footballers and managers of that calibre simply don't function that way. Fans would've demanded it, too.

You could also turn it round the other way and say that Celtic had nothing to play for, as they were out. It's just not the case though, as teams such as Man City and Celtic only ever have one thought when they go onto the pitch, and that's to win!

Plus, these fixtures [English vs. Scottish teams] are always portrayed by the media as a 'Battle of Britain', and that factor is guaranteed to add another dimension and competitive edge to the fixture, regardless of the fact that your team had already qualified.

In any case, as you correctly say, the first match between the two teams couldn't have been more competitive, and in that match Celtic ably proved that they could compete with Man City

In one-off games like that they can compete, but it would be a different matter doing it week in week out, in the EPL (should such a thing ever happen).

Celtic currently aren't at that level, but as I said before, it's nothing a few tens of millions from Sky (and soon afterwards, if they remained in the EPL, amounting to hundreds of millions), winging their way into Celtic's coffers, wouldn't sort out!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

What was the score against Feyenoord, Chris?

Marco.
    Main System

Feyenoord 0 - 4 City
    Chris

Good result away from home, but that's one team you'd have been expected to beat, home and away. Your games against Shaktar and Napoli will be the defining ones

Marco.
    Main System

Aye, it was a good result.
    The Feyenoord side last night was very inexperienced, and it showed.
    However, I've been to more City games than I can remember when we were dead cert favourites, yet slipped down to our opponent's level and struggled.
    Last night City showed their ruthless side, and I've not seen that for a while.

Next game for us in the CL is at ours, against Shakhtar Donetsk.
    Chris

I'm Grant.

Saw first half of Rangers Partick game last night. Missed all goal action later as quite frankly the action was ghastly poor. God help them at weekend.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast