+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: phono stage bake off

I'm Kevin.

Over 30 pages on a "bake off" and no conclusion (other than certain people behaving completely as expected).
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Come on guys, if you're going to post threads about bake-offs, we NEED TO SEE PICS of the kit listened to!

[And that doesn't include links to them posted elsewhere].

Marco.
    The problem is the whole thread really relates to an event organised and held by another forum. Having said that, I have read the thread on the forum linked to and all I can say is that the moderators are more tolerant than I would be.
    Account Deleted

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'd like to hear one of these too. Good reports all round and great price. Love to see how the FB-OTP MK2 sounds next to it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    The general consensus at Nebo was that the FB OTP MK2 pipped the Mani to the post. My personal view that is that given the opportunity to adjust the Mani I think it would have been an even closer run race.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    The general consensus at Nebo was that the FB OTP MK2 pipped the Mani to the post. My personal view that is that given the opportunity to adjust the Mani I think it would have been an even closer run race.
    That was before the circuit redesign I think. It's a fair bit better than previously. Where about a are you, maybe we have a get together and see what we think? Bit of lunch in a local pub never hurts either lol

I'm Steve.

Up North lad.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Over 30 pages on a "bake off" and no conclusion (other than certain people behaving completely as expected).
    It does strike me as rather odd that almost nobody has listed their take on the bake-off, or order of merit if you will.

I haven't posted my thoughts on the AT forum for fear of being accused of self promotion (plus all the other BS).

So I'll stick it on here:

No 1. The Nick Gorham designed MFA stage, MM only but used with a £2.5K SUT, sorry can't remember which it was.

I'd not had the pleasure of hearing this before, though I know some of you on here have, it gets a universal first past the post rating to my knowledge.
    A very neutral presentation with a stunning focus to the image.

No 2. Firebottle KIN. Only the phonostage section was in circuit, input to MC, output taken from the 'tape out'.

Very similar tonality to the MFA, neutral, but not quite such pinpoint focus. This was tried into the MM input later on using the £2.5K SUT and to my ears there was a very small increase in clarity.

No 3. Whest PS30-RDT. Very polished performer but lost out slightly when things got busy in the mix.

No 4. Steve S's EAR834P plus vintage Kiseki (?) silver wired SUT. This had Telefunken valves fitted and had a real 'body' to the sound. A little more full fat than neutral sound, I can imagine this would appeal to quite a few depending on taste.

No 5. Furutech GT40A. This was the first one I heard, it was good but I don't recall it standing out at all.

Theses are only my feelings on proceedings so take them as you will. YMMV.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    Up North lad.
    How far, I get free travel on the west coast mainline. Traveling isn't an issue usually. Unless its WAY up north lol. Drop me a PM if you fancy it 😀

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It does strike me as rather odd that almost nobody has listed their take on the bake-off, or order of merit if you will.

I haven't posted my thoughts on the AT forum for fear of being accused of self promotion (plus all the other BS).

So I'll stick it on here:

No 1. The Nick Gorham designed MFA stage, MM only but used with a £2.5K SUT, sorry can't remember which it was.

I'd not had the pleasure of hearing this before, though I know some of you on here have, it gets a universal first past the post rating to my knowledge.
    A very neutral presentation with a stunning focus to the image.

No 2. Firebottle KIN. Only the phonostage section was in circuit, input to MC, output taken from the 'tape out'.

Very similar tonality to the MFA, neutral, but not quite such pinpoint focus. This was tried into the MM input later on using the £2.5K SUT and to my ears there was a very small increase in clarity.

No 3. Whest PS30-RDT. Very polished performer but lost out slightly when things got busy in the mix.

No 4. Steve S's EAR834P plus vintage Kiseki (?) silver wired SUT. This had Telefunken valves fitted and had a real 'body' to the sound. A little more full fat than neutral sound, I can imagine this would appeal to quite a few depending on taste.

No 5. Furutech GT40A. This was the first one I heard, it was good but I don't recall it standing out at all.

Theses are only my feelings on proceedings so take them as you will. YMMV.
    Was that the £9.5k Phono stage Al?

I'm Alan.

No 1 yes Oli. That's the retail price.

Actually just checked, it's £8.2K plus VAT = £9840, without SUT.
    Last edited by Firebottle; 08-07-2017 at 15:37. Reason: Correct price

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    No 1 yes Oli. That's the retail price.
    Sh@t the bed!!! So the KIN/Vivant was knats knacker away from a £10k setup. That's some achievment Al.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast