+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Richb's System(s)

I'm Rich.

Default Richb's System(s)

Finally getting round to sharing with you guys, I've enjoyed being a member of this forum and thought it time to give something back...

Here are my humble systems for your perusal:

Lounge system is: Old Dell laptop for streaming, Beresford TC-7520 (just ordered new LM4562NA opamps to replace this weekend), Arcam Solo Neo, Speaker Cable is Rega FSC Quatro, Interconnects QED Perfomance, Maplin Toslink connecting TV audio to standac, Telly is cheap Samsung, Virgin Media Tivo box and a an old Phillips DVD Player (does its job). Round the back everything audio is plugged into a Tachima Mains Conditioner.

Spare room system is an HP Slimline PC, Beresford TC-7520 (unmodified), Pioneer A400 amplifier, Mission 760SE Speakers with Rega cable and Monster interconnects. Media Monkey for ripping and playback.

all a bit untidy but it works for me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RichB; 19-01-2012 at 14:18.

synsei Guest

Hi Richard. A couple of nice systems you have there matey, I particularly like your little study system. The 7520 could have been purposefully designed to sit on your monitor base and the A400 is a classy amp, I bet it sounds great driving those little Missions

I have a similar HP monitor to you (although its power button is on the underside of the screen) and I find it to be an excellent display. The clarity and colours it produces are much more vivid than the 20" Viewsonic I used previously before it died a death.

I'm Rich.

Thanks Dave, it occurred to me when i put it in the beresford was a perfect fit under the monitor and breathed a lot of life into a system I'd had since i was a teenager. The Pioneer amp/Mission speakers has been nothing short of workhorse, daily service for over 20 year and been everywhere with me... as i might have mentioned before they've seen their fair share of noisy parties in the early 90s when rave was the name of the game!

I fear they are now approaching retirement and at some point in the not too distant future i might go for new t-amp, dac and desktop speakers combo. I'd like to see what results could be had for around £150. The opinions of AoS members are welcomed on this.

I agree the HP monitor is very nice, and probably the best thing about what has otherwise been a terrible PC purchase for me. Nothing but problems with the slimline design, should have just got a laptop or built my own full tower PC. The last one i built never skipped a beat in 6 or 7 years and i'd reinstate it tomorrow had it not been donated to friend.

Both systems will be moved and tidied up in the next few weeks, whilst the old place undergoes a thorough redecoration, perhaps with some built in units in the alcoves, old power sockets replaced, and the ultra flat rega wire hidden under some new carpets.

synsei Guest

Don't be too eager to retire the A400 Rich as it is a seriously capable amplifier, a recap and service will bring it back from the grave with a vengeance believe me

I've always built my own computer systems and my current one is the best yet. It hasn't missed a beat in over two years and despite it having an early 3ghz Core2Duo CPU it is no slouch

I'm Rich.

i'd love to see the A400 back to fighting form again but when i looked into the costs it didn't seem worth it, thought money might be better spent on trying something new. was quoted 60-70 quid for a service, not including new caps or parts. the missions still have plenty to give though so i'd consider keeping them on.

synsei Guest

If you ever consider letting the A400 go Rich I might be interested if I have the finances available, in which case could you keep me in mind please?

I'm gone.

Which Rega speakers are those, Rich?

I had Juras, then stacked Juras, and liked them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    i'd love to see the A400 back to fighting form again but when i looked into the costs it didn't seem worth it, thought money might be better spent on trying something new. was quoted 60-70 quid for a service, not including new caps or parts.
    Give one of them Mini-T t-amps a go for £65 ... I suspect you will be amazed. If not, send it back!
    ... you might be well advised to try it in your main system as well! ... does the Arcam have pre-amp output sockets? If so, just crank the Mini-T up to full volume and use it as a power amp.
    Last edited by jandl100; 20-01-2012 at 08:13.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Stacked Jura's? Bloody 'ell Jerry, you're a glutton for punishment

I loved the Jura's and was able to get very good sounds from them, especially bi-amped. never tried them stacked though

Those Rega's look like RS3's to me..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm gone.

Werll ... seeing as you asked, Dave - here they is

{Sorry for the thread hijack, Rich.}

Good fun, but they didn't see off the Thiel CS2.3 which can be seen peeking out at the sides.

I'm Rich.

{Sorry for the thread hijack, Rich.}

No problem buddy, its worth it just to see that pic of stacked Juras... made my day that has!

Yes, the Regas are RS3... I love them having traded in a pair of Monitor Audio RX1s to get them... a fantastic speaker but rear ported designs on stands just didnt work in that bay window space and i was chasing the bass all over the room and kitting the room out with foam panels wouldnt have gone down well with the OH. The Regas fit right in, she likes their quirky design

I tried them with the side woofers firing outwards but found the soundstage better and more focused with them firing inwards. They would have been firing at side walls otherwise. I like the fact they are pretty unfussy about where they are positioned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast