+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Get together at Qwin's

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Ken.

Default Get together at Qwin's

Had a low key meet at mine on Sunday, Peter (Petrat) and Gordon (Halfwaytree) dropped in.

Peter was in the area and suggested a get together, it turned out to be a great session.

Gordon brought a test LP that worked with an App on his tablet. It showed my Turntable had remarkably low wow/flutter and that the speed was very accurate, which being based on a Technics SL-1200 motor assembly is no great surprise, but nice to have confirmed after all my modifications.

I've just completed building a fully discrete tracking power supply for my Pro-Ject Phono Box RS, replacing the tiny wall wart supply.(Still needs painting Black)

It's a Sigma 22 kit available from glassjaraudio.com and designed by AMB Labs. I basically copied a project by killie99 on wigwam and added my own twist on the packaging. Find it here: https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/1...ject-phono-rs/

I was more than chuffed with the improvements the new power supply brought.

That was, till Peter dropped his EAR 912 pre/phono into my set up.

I know it's from a completely different price point, costing many, many times more than my Pro-Ject gear, so a direct comparison is a bit unfair, but boy did it sound good. A level of dynamics, transparency and mid range detail I've not had from my system and something to work towards achieving.

The positives I got out of it, were that my TT set up is even better than I had thought and capable of working with top performing gear.

Also just how good my Nakamichi AV power amp is, when fed a good signal.

I think the consensus was that my DIY active speaker set up is certainly capable of holding its own at this level.

I have lots of other things I want to try with the speakers, but I can do this with confidence, knowing that I can always come back to this current point, which works so well.

My Pro-Ject based set up is good, very good at it's price point, but I just had a glimpse of what lies beyond and I am hooked.

Great day guys, must do something similar again.

Apologies for using old pictures, but no one got a camera out and I know how you all like pictures.
    Last edited by Qwin; 19-06-2017 at 11:51.

+ Reply to Thread