+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheap upgrade for michell gyro

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm peter.

Hi Alan all good stuff , so far over a 1000 views , if any one wants a bearing ball , please drop me a line , you only pay what i have paid and make your own mind up ,
    also one other thing you can do is put some more spacers under the Arm Board , you can buy them of eBay for penny's put some blue tack under one end and push them in , is seems to work better with the SME arms ,
    and is cheap to do , just look under nylon spacers ,
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Nylo...KqTDOiMEmnM_Tw

Well after 3 months of running diffrent balls no pun intended , the PTFE one finaly got a flat on the bottom, but kept on running , i have over 1kg in weight on top of the platter ,
    i am still using the PTFE as it is the softer if all of them ,the hardest is the torlon , but i pefair the sound of the PTFE and the thought that no damage can be done if it wears down , un like the ceramic versions that are harder if they fail it is a new bearing ,
    just put a 6mm 1.5mm disc of ptfe on the end of the bearing shaft to see if that helps the ptfe ball , there is no surface noise , at all , if it means i have to change it every s 6 months i will
    for those of you who are using ceramic bearings the higher the Grade number the poorer the Ball in roundness and surface finish and size , and also the lower the price , the higher price ones will be grade 10 in aluminum oxide, grade 3 in silicon , and grade 3 in zinc oxide bearing ball you can buy grade 5 on eBay, but not in aluminium oxide ,
    all the engeering plastic Balls are grade 1 the best you can buy as far as i no ,

just made a Thrust plate out of ptfe it is held in place with a very small about of blutac , so far it has run and no damage to the bearing of the ball , as it is only point loaded , and kept in place with the ball , no noise in back ground at all through the record ,
    it is a sacrificial part that can be changed every year if needed, 1,5mm thick 8 mm dia with a corner cut off ,so the off set hole will drain the oil which is still working fine i am waiting on some delrin sheet to arrive ,that is used as an upgrade to the technics thrust pad ,sl1210 ,

http://www.smbbearings.com/productpd...tion-guide.pdf noisey ceramic
    Last edited by gwernaffield; 27-07-2017 at 19:55. Reason: PTFE BAll

+ Reply to Thread