Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tonearm Question

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You been up to Scotland Alan
    No, to the Owston weekend

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Around twenty years ago I owned an Alphason HR100S MCS tonearm which was on an Alphason Sonata. I now own an Origin Live Onyx which is on a Nottingham Analogue Interspace. The OL is more rigid and stable and feels better engineered, a lot more solid I guess but other than that, sound wise, I cannot really detect much of a difference.
    Thats good to know. I flirted dangerously with an OL encounter.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

The Alphason has got its work cut out against the Mission 774. Just listening to the Metallica - Black album reincarnated onto vinyl. Absolutely stunning. The Mission is a phenomenal arm and the Toshiba is driving the beat like a metronome. Precise and thunderous. The sound is clean with the Monoblocks too.
    These pioneer speakers are completely underrated too.
    I must be mad lol.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    These pioneer speakers are completely underrated too. Correct.
    I must be mad lol. CORRECT.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    😂😂

"The God That Failed" has just decimated the street. Just walked outside to fetch something from the car and the guy who lives behind us has walked past singing it lol. Must've been loud hahaha

montesquieu Guest

The Alphason is a truly superb arm, but like any other arm it depends hugely what cartridge you want to run with it. It's in the low-medium mass sort of area so you are looking at medium-high compliance cartridges - actually similar ballpark to both the OL and the Mission though the Mission is more flexible with its damping allowing a greater range of cartridges to be used (if still some way short of being a sensible option with lower compliance cartridges).

My preference across all three would be the Alphason, in part because I have a thoroughly irrational prejudice against Rega-based arms, partly because it looks so cool. I used one on an LP12 years ago and later on a Townshend Rock, with Lyras and Dynavectors it was tremendous, less so with a SPU Royal N and Koetsu Red Sig (as you'd expect, as both are lower compliance, I'd expect a Denon 103 to be similarly compromised) which is why I changed to heavier arms.

Having said all that, if your 774 is set up well I wouldn't expect you to hear a great deal of difference with the same cartridge (the ZXY I assume which is a nice match for either), they are both gimballed, medium compliance arms of similar sort of excellent capability.

FWIW the OL guy was talking bollocks, the cheapest OL is NOT anywhere close to the Alphason (or the Mission) and for that reason alone I would give them a big fat raspberry. There are good reasons for him to justify why you might want a brand new arm - confidence it's not damaged as vintage kit can be, warranty and availability of servicing etc etc - but claiming his cheapest Rega-derived arm is 'better' than an all-time classic just tells me he either knows nothing, or is lying/talking out of his arse - both reasons to avoid IMHO.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    The Alphason is a truly superb arm, but like any other arm it depends hugely what cartridge you want to run with it. It's in the low-medium mass sort of area so you are looking at medium-high compliance cartridges - actually similar ballpark to both the OL and the Mission though the Mission is more flexible with its damping allowing a greater range of cartridges to be used (if still some way short of being a sensible option with lower compliance cartridges).

My preference across all three would be the Alphason, in part because I have a thoroughly irrational prejudice against Rega-based arms, partly because it looks so cool. I used one on an LP12 years ago and later on a Townshend Rock, with Lyras and Dynavectors it was tremendous, less so with a SPU Royal N and Koetsu Red Sig (as you'd expect, as both are lower compliance, I'd expect a Denon 103 to be similarly compromised) which is why I changed to heavier arms.

Having said all that, if your 774 is set up well I wouldn't expect you to hear a great deal of difference with the same cartridge (the ZXY I assume which is a nice match for either), they are both gimballed, medium compliance arms of similar sort of capability.

FWIW the OL guy was talking bollocks, the cheapest OL is NOT anywhere close to the Alphason (or the Mission) and for that reason alone I would give them a big fat raspberry. There are good reasons for him to justify why you might want a brand new arm - confidence it's not damaged as vintage kit can be, warranty and availability of servicing etc etc - but claiming his cheapest Rega-derived arm is 'better' than an all-time classic just tells me he either knows nothing, or is lying/talking out of his arse - both reasons to avoid IMHO.

Thanks for the info, Tom.

I had a rewired Rega arm (250?) and i thought it was a very good arm, Then i bought the Mission and realised how much of an improvement was possible. I have primarily bought the Alphason to cure my curiosity. As I'm probably unlikely to buy a Low compliance cart, i cant see any issues arising but i do value having the flexibility of the fluid damping.

I can't imagine i will lose any money from selling either arm should there be a clear winner so its a kind of minimum risk investment. I will post my findings which will involve no science at all, just good listening!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123