+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tonearm Question

Bigman80 Guest

Default Tonearm Question

Hi all,

I have been looking at having a try of an Alphason Tonearm. I face a problem with fitting it to my TT so i sent an email to Origin Live to enquire if they make an adapter plate of some kind.

This was part of the response in the email I recieved

"Alphason have Linn fitting so our plates will not cater anyway and one wonders if an arm of this quality is worth the effort when one can do so much better in our range for as little as £295 for immense performance improvement"

So my question is,

Is this the experience of anyone here who owns an OL tonearm? How good ARE the OL tonearms. I think I recall someone complaining of restricted movement in the bearing ?

Second question,

Can the £299 OL arm REALLY be better than the Alphason 100MCS?

Thanks

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Can the £299 OL arm REALLY be better than the Alphason 100MCS?
    What do you think Oliver? Go with your gut instinct. The Alphason has a following for a reason.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    What do you think Oliver? Go with your gut instinct. The Alphason has a following for a reason.
    Well, thats what I thought Geoff, but it never hurts to get opinions lol

I'm George.

Hi Oliver. I've no personal experience of the Alphason tonearm, but looking at the specs and construction, I'd certainly give it a go. It's definitely a very undiplomatic and unprofessional reply you received from OL - not good PR.
    If you have the exact measurements of the cut-out needed and armboard size, send me a PM. I'm sure I can find someone to make one for you. Regards. George.
    Main system: Sony Biotracer PS-B80 record deck. Kondo IO-M cart. ASR Basis Exclusive phono stage. Convergent Audio Technology SL3 valve monoblocks. Audio Note (Japanese Audio Note now known as Kondo) M7 Custom pre-amplifier. Wilson Sophia 2's on Townshend isolation platforms. Siltech G6 “Emperor” speaker cables. Interconnects: Audio Note AN-V. Kemp mains conditioner and mains cables.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mysonicspace View Post
    Hi Oliver. I've no personal experience of the Alphason tonearm, but looking at the specs and construction, I'd certainly give it a go. It's definitely a very undiplomatic and unprofessional reply you received from OL - not good PR.
    If you have the exact measurements of the cut-out needed and armboard size, send me a PM. I'm sure I can find someone to make one for you. Regards. George.
    Hi George,

Ha, yes its definitely undiplomatic!! I think he's just trying to generate some sales but yes, not "good form"

I think its worth giving an Alphason a go, it is well respected by members of this forum too.

Thanks for the offer too. Walpurgis has also kindly offered his services which I have accepted bit if anything arises where Geoff cant help, ill give you a shout.

Thanks!

I'm Alan.

I'd stick with the 774 Oli.

I heard a Mission 774, fitted with a Benz Gullwing SLR last weekend and it was gobsmackingly good. Best MC I've heard, with nothing missing.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

I heard a Mission 774, fitted with a Benz Gullwing SLR last weekend and it was gobsmackingly good. Best MC I've heard, with nothing missing.
    Theres absolutely nothing missing from my Mission 774/ZYX combo either mate, but theres a hole left from Jamies (lack of) comparison between the two a few weeks back 😂😂

In all honesty, he's introduced fluid damping via the Townsend Rock and the Alphasons performance has got better. This suggests the Mission is on the right path. Maybe I'll look at something with fluid damping to try against the Mission.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    That would be my inclination too. But partly because of the 774's versatility. I can use a stiff, low compliance MC or Decca and have great sound, then change straight to an ultra high compliance ADC and still have great sound. Not many arms you can do that with.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Ive never been anything but impressed with the Mission Geoff. Its got better as the gear around it got better.

I'm Geoff.

I rate the SR-370 and 774 together as a magic combo. It just works!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast