+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Money Available - Should I Spend It On Hifi ?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Extra Money Available - Should I Spend It On Hifi ?

We are hopefully selling our boat tomorrow... oops actually today, Saturday

Now do I spend the extra money on hifi or not ?

However I can't think what I would buy next, any suggestions ?

I thought about 'upgrading' my Living Voice's to a model further up the range as I just love the Auditoriums...

Naim CD5XS Through:Black Cat Silverstar 75 To:Naim DacThrough:Naim 5 Pin DinTo:Supernait 2Through:NACA5To:Living Voice Auditoriums

I'm Russell.

You are asking the wrong crowd! You know everyone here will say yes! If you are talking about a speaker upgrade then it must be a sizable sum. New speakers or a new amp can change your system more than any other move.

There is always something that needs upgrading. How about a new phono cartridge? Or phono preamp? My recent CD player upgrade made a world of difference! Personally I've never spent a cent on stereo that I didn't feel was well worth it. I always worry if it's worth the money? Will I appreciate the difference? And I always do. And if you buy used, you can usually recoup your money if need be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm brian.

The 100 grand or so your probably get for the boat will buy something very nice Bev Anywhere near the mark ?
    Or you could buy another electric bike, higher spec ?

I'm Rob.

I've got a nice pair of Klipsch KG3's sitting here doing nothing at the moment.......
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

I'm Neil.

If you are happy with the sound then leave it and enjoy what you have, so No, leave the money for something else.

Regarding the biggest change being amp and speakers I disagree, source. The amp and speakers can only give you what they are given. Source upgrades are in my view always worth doing.

Hope the sale goes well, health to enjoy your system and money.
    Regards Neil

System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

May I suggest having a dem of your auditorium speakers with Border Patrol amps and at the same time comparing with the Avatar's or obx version, I think you might like them.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    The 100 grand or so your probably get for the boat will buy something very nice Bev Anywhere near the mark ?
    ?
    might just be a dinghy with an outboard
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    We are hopefully selling our boat tomorrow... oops actually today, Saturday

Now do I spend the extra money on hifi or not ?

However I can't think what I would buy next, any suggestions ?

I thought about 'upgrading' my Living Voice's to a model further up the range as I just love the Auditoriums...
    Good news, Bev. Always nice to have some extra pocket money to spend!

My advice? If you're already happy with your system, and the money from the boat sale is sufficient, forget about hi-fi and buy yourself a nice car, perhaps treat yourself to a classic Merc or something else you've always wanted, or a new motor bike, or go on a nice holiday somewhere with Colin.

Make some nice memories together, while you can, doing something you both enjoy, is my advice, as you never know what life's going to throw at you. Plenty of time for hi-fi later, but right now, I'd spend the cash on doing something nice together, which you can look back on in future with great fondness

Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

"A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

I'm Phil.

funnily enough 2 days ago i was looking at the boat adverts in brixham . they had a lovely big 1974 boat for under 7k and then they had boats at over 1.25 million . i would have a nervous breakdown leaving a 1.25 mill boat in a harbour !!
    modwright 36.5 DM /MSB s200 , / Marantz sa8005/bel canto 3.5, vbs , bel canto fm1
    sonos, . dct300/ /isotek sigmas /rfc/chord epic cabling/Kimber select/ proac studio 125

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good news, Bev. Always nice to have some extra pocket money to spend!

My advice? If you're already happy with your system, and the money from the boat sale is sufficient, forget about hi-fi and buy yourself a nice car, perhaps treat yourself to a classic Merc or something else you've always wanted, or a new motor bike, or go on a nice holiday somewhere with Colin.

Make some nice memories together, while you can, doing something you both enjoy, is my advice, as you never know what life's going to throw at you. Plenty of time for hi-fi later, but right now, I'd spend the cash on doing something nice together, which you can look back on in future with great fondness

Marco.
    Excellent advice there Marco.

So Bev, take yourself and Colin away on a world cruise, the memories of the sights you will see will stay with you forever.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast