+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extra Money Available - Should I Spend It On Hifi ?

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Default Extra Money Available - Should I Spend It On Hifi ?

We are hopefully selling our boat tomorrow... oops actually today, Saturday

Now do I spend the extra money on hifi or not ?

However I can't think what I would buy next, any suggestions ?

I thought about 'upgrading' my Living Voice's to a model further up the range as I just love the Auditoriums...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Russell.

You are asking the wrong crowd! You know everyone here will say yes! If you are talking about a speaker upgrade then it must be a sizable sum. New speakers or a new amp can change your system more than any other move.

There is always something that needs upgrading. How about a new phono cartridge? Or phono preamp? My recent CD player upgrade made a world of difference! Personally I've never spent a cent on stereo that I didn't feel was well worth it. I always worry if it's worth the money? Will I appreciate the difference? And I always do. And if you buy used, you can usually recoup your money if need be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm brian.

The 100 grand or so your probably get for the boat will buy something very nice Bev Anywhere near the mark ?
    Or you could buy another electric bike, higher spec ?

I'm Rob.

I've got a nice pair of Klipsch KG3's sitting here doing nothing at the moment.......
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Neil.

If you are happy with the sound then leave it and enjoy what you have, so No, leave the money for something else.

Regarding the biggest change being amp and speakers I disagree, source. The amp and speakers can only give you what they are given. Source upgrades are in my view always worth doing.

Hope the sale goes well, health to enjoy your system and money.
    Regards Neil

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

May I suggest having a dem of your auditorium speakers with Border Patrol amps and at the same time comparing with the Avatar's or obx version, I think you might like them.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    The 100 grand or so your probably get for the boat will buy something very nice Bev Anywhere near the mark ?
    ?
    might just be a dinghy with an outboard
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    We are hopefully selling our boat tomorrow... oops actually today, Saturday

Now do I spend the extra money on hifi or not ?

However I can't think what I would buy next, any suggestions ?

I thought about 'upgrading' my Living Voice's to a model further up the range as I just love the Auditoriums...
    Good news, Bev. Always nice to have some extra pocket money to spend!

My advice? If you're already happy with your system, and the money from the boat sale is sufficient, forget about hi-fi and buy yourself a nice car, perhaps treat yourself to a classic Merc or something else you've always wanted, or a new motor bike, or go on a nice holiday somewhere with Colin.

Make some nice memories together, while you can, doing something you both enjoy, is my advice, as you never know what life's going to throw at you. Plenty of time for hi-fi later, but right now, I'd spend the cash on doing something nice together, which you can look back on in future with great fondness

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Phil.

funnily enough 2 days ago i was looking at the boat adverts in brixham . they had a lovely big 1974 boat for under 7k and then they had boats at over 1.25 million . i would have a nervous breakdown leaving a 1.25 mill boat in a harbour !!
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good news, Bev. Always nice to have some extra pocket money to spend!

My advice? If you're already happy with your system, and the money from the boat sale is sufficient, forget about hi-fi and buy yourself a nice car, perhaps treat yourself to a classic Merc or something else you've always wanted, or a new motor bike, or go on a nice holiday somewhere with Colin.

Make some nice memories together, while you can, doing something you both enjoy, is my advice, as you never know what life's going to throw at you. Plenty of time for hi-fi later, but right now, I'd spend the cash on doing something nice together, which you can look back on in future with great fondness

Marco.
    Excellent advice there Marco.

So Bev, take yourself and Colin away on a world cruise, the memories of the sights you will see will stay with you forever.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast