+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't rip, won't rip

I'm Geoff.

Default Can't rip, won't rip

High by The Blue Nile apparently has a high level of copy protection on it. What I know is that I cannot rip it to my hard drive to stream, using DB Poweramp or Itunes. Does anyone have any suggestions that avoid me having to buy another copy?
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Adam.

I just sent you a Private Message with a solution.

Not sure if it sent though as it is not appearing in my Sent Messages - can you let me know if you get it please
    Adam.

I'm Geoff.

Got it and replied Adam thanks.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by oldius View Post
    High by The Blue Nile apparently has a high level of copy protection on it. What I know is that I cannot rip it to my hard drive to stream, using DB Poweramp or Itunes. Does anyone have any suggestions that avoid me having to buy another copy?
    If the rip is for your own use only, legally you own both what you need to rip and the copyright protection that accompanies it.

You need to try a download of a iso image for Linux Mint, http://www.linuxmint.com then either make a DVD of that iso image,
    or a USB. Then enable the DVD drive ( which is usual ) or USB drive - by changing boot order ( usually F2 or F3 and sometimes F9 )

Then with your computer connected via its LAN cable, boot Linux Mint, then download K3B https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K3b
    from the Linux Mint menu item Software Manager. Your options to rip, if they are available at all, will then be available in K3B.

Alternatively using a recording device to transfer like a Sony miniDisc recorder, or a dedicated audio purpose hard disk recorder
    like a Yamaha CDRHD1500 you can temporarily record on to that medium using analog transfer. Then using that audio arrange
    it as a line input to your sound card, ideally then using Ogg or Flac as the file type. ( If you use any other you are self creating
    another level of copyright, namely mechanical copyright ) But if you want to disable digital copy you will need a DBX Quantum,
    which has that as an available option.

Alternatively just buy another copy

Cheers / Chris

I'm Nial.

Send it back and ask for your money back. Not to red book spec.

Or, there's a torrent of it ripped with EAC.

I'm Will.

Make a copy, via some disk copy software, then rip the copy, usually does the trick...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Grant.

this is an interesting article on how it works sometimes

Copy Protected Audio CD

An Audio CD that can play in a standalone Audio player but not on a PC.

These CDs are per definition NOT complying with the CD standards and rely on CD/DVD-ROM players getting confused. There are a number of different copy protections out there. Most of them rely on the fact that standalone audio players only look for audio tracks in the first session (per Redbook standard) whereas CD/DVD-ROM drives look for ALL sessions and tracks. The copy protected CDs mostly contain one or more higher sessions with incorrect TOC data per session so that CD/DVD-ROM drives get confused (after all they have to obey the specs to be able to mount all correctly mastered CDs). Another technique used is to introduce a lot of level 2 errors so that playing analogue audio is not affected but extracting audio is. These CDs better not get scratched and they will ware out fast !!

Being able to extract audio data from these CDs relies largely on the CD/DVD-ROM drive !! IsoBuster can only compensate when the CD/DVD-ROM drives allow for compensation.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Will.

...hence a 'data' disk copy overcomes the problem, the scrambled sectors are re-assembled in the correct order, and can be ripped accurately with DBpoweramp

I've ripped about 3k CDs, about a dozen required the above technique, all from around the early 90's...
    Cheers, Will

I'm john.

My pc internal drive wont rip any of my legaly owned Warner cd's for portable listening, however i got an LG external Dvd rewriter Model...GE20nu10 from a charity shop. Nothing has phased it so far.

I'm Gary.

My first post, If you have Windows 7 or earlier or Linux it should be ok to rip CD's well I have been able to. Warner are more difficult but it can be done. With win 10 then sorry.
    Remember you are allowed to make a back up copy for your own use only.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast