+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In praise of headphones

I'm Simon.

Yep, it's about using common sense and courtesy. I won't play my music before 12 noon and not after 10-11pm, unless I see the neighbours go out. I also won't have it on every day, or all day. It's usually every other day for a few hours. Sometimes I end up with it on most days but even then I limit to a few hours, or take a break and come back for more later in the day.

I think it's wrong to be playing music loud at 6am or past 11pm, unless your neighbours are doing the same or for some reason don't mind it.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    but the best headphones are more truthful messengers than the best speakers. There are fewer ways for the sound to go wrong.

Cobblers. There's no bass. How can that be more truthful?
    Oh dear! You have so much to experience, young man!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    Oh dear! You have so much to experience, young man!
    no, I just hate headphones. Use to have a decent set of Sennheisers. Gave them away years ago because I realised never used them. I don't listen to music when I'm out and about as I like to keep my wits about me when in 'the real world'. At home I have big speakers to listen to music through, why would I listen on headphones instead? No physicality to the sound. If away on holiday I am distracted by the new surroundings and new things to do, don't really think about music at all. So I just have no use for them. They are a second fiddle that I don't require.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

I never use mine either.

Got a few pairs though, some big Audio Technicas, smaller AKG's, two pairs of very nice sounding Yamaha HP-1 orthodynamics, think there's some largish Sennheisers knocking about and I've got half a dozen sets of the Sennheiser MX-5 in ear jobs for the portable MiniDisc players I still have (great sounding things!).
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm malcolm.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    no, I just hate headphones. Use to have a decent set of Sennheisers. Gave them away years ago because I realised never used them. I don't listen to music when I'm out and about as I like to keep my wits about me when in 'the real world'. At home I have big speakers to listen to music through, why would I listen on headphones instead? No physicality to the sound. If away on holiday I am distracted by the new surroundings and new things to do, don't really think about music at all. So I just have no use for them. They are a second fiddle that I don't require.
    I can appreciate that but for many folks headphones are a necessity given their situations. Up to a couple of years ago I was the same, hardly used cans at all and always preferred speakers, but I was in a large detached house so no worries about neighbours no matter how loud I wanted it, however having now downsized into a semi I am considerate to my neighbour and so now have a number of headphone systems which allow me to carry on with my enjoyment of loud music, a price that must be payed for harmony.
    Audiophile Tosher

I'm Martin.

I can appreciate the necessity in some situations. I tend to listen between 1800 and 2200, after that the telly goes on. I don't think that is unreasonable to the neighbours.

If working hours or other commitments meant I only had the opportunity to listen to music late in the evening I guess headphones would be a necessity. I'd rather change my job or my life around if that were the case, but I suppose that is not always practical. Or possible.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234