+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of headphones

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Robin.

Default In praise of headphones

Whilst I have decent kit I'm spending 90% of my time using cans these days. Here's why: https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-experienced-0
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Grant.

mostly using cans myself now
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

but the best headphones are more truthful messengers than the best speakers. There are fewer ways for the sound to go wrong.

Cobblers. There's no bass. How can that be more truthful?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    but the best headphones are more truthful messengers than the best speakers. There are fewer ways for the sound to go wrong.

plenty bass
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    plenty bass
    plenty of imaginary bass.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

plenty of imaginary bass.
    You misspelt that. It's plenty Imagery and bass
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Headphones are OK if you like the soundfield to be confined to the inside of your head. Move your head and the entire Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra moves with it! Not what you hear in practice, or what you hear when using speakers.

Fidelity is not limited to frequency response.
    Barry

I'm Hugh.

Doesn't sound as if you've heard a good pair of cans yet, or possibly good, clean, accurate bass isn't your cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    That is my current dilemma. Recently bought Grado's and although they are stunning in the mid and treble, there's no low bass.
    I notice that you use the SR125e....

"The SR125e’s offer a very balanced bass sound, without overdoing it — one thing’s for sure, these aren’t designed to bring any boosted bass to hip hop or rap tracks. Instead, they’re designed to sound the way the mixing engineer intended it."

https://headphonereview.com/on-ear/grado-sr125e-review/

I'm Robin.

You want bass - try Audeze models. Admittedly you hear it, don't feel it.
    Robin. mit ARC CD9, ARC ref 5 / darTZeel power + magico v2. Clearaudio Innovation wood / Phantom ll / Lyra Atlas / Aurorasound Vida,
    Stax 009S cans.KGGG headamp. all connected with wires. Auralic Aries - Aqua La Scala. Manley Absolute. Focal Stellias. HD800S Hyland headphones - Venus

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by narabdela View Post
    Doesn't sound as if you've heard a good pair of cans yet, or possibly good, clean, accurate bass isn't your cup of tea.

]
    headphones just do not do bass. Don't understand what the argument is. Yes you can hear the notes okay, even the timbre of the instrument, but it isn't 'bass' like you get from a decent big loudspeaker. Where is the physicality? Might as well just sing the tune to yourself in your head.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast