+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The precocious choirboy

I'm Rob.

Default The precocious choirboy

I've finished my week or so listening to the loan Firebottle Plus MM/MC. So what do I think.

For me, it was like watching a precocious choirboy who sits in the front of the pew before the service and you just want to slap the little bastard ... then the little sod stands up and sings, and just takes your breath away.

First the power supply going around with the loan unit is horrible. You need to be careful where you place it, as if it's too close to your Hi-Fi it will cause an awful hum. In fact, when nothing was playing there was always a hum. I didn't find it annoying (once I got the PSU in a sweet spot) but it was there.

But as soon as the needle hit the groove I was blown away. The Firebottle Plus just sings beautifully. There is such clarity and realism; forgive the cliche but it's like you're in the room with the artists/performers. There is a delicacy and beauty that is just wonderful.

The loan unit was posted to the next recipient yesterday, and last night I was back listening through my Trichord Dino/Dino+ ... and I was listening to recordings again, rather than being there as I felt I was with the Firebottle.

There are a couple of other phono amps I want to try, but the more I think about it, the more I'm sure I'm going to have to get a Firebottle - and get a decent PSU too.

The problem is I'm just a little besotted with that beautiful sound.

Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

Bigman80 Guest

The whole Firebottle range has that quality of submerging you into the performance. It engulfs you. Very good description.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Alan.

Rob, really glad you liked what you heard. The power supply is probably getting a bit tired now, it wasn't new when the loan unit started its journey, sounds like it needs replacing as there shouldn't be any hum.

Nothing wrong with being besotted with the beautiful sound, that what we are all here for

I think you need to hear the new OTP phono stage, as you are reasonably close I will come over when I have another one completed if that's acceptable?

I'm Rob.

Hi Alan,

I'd love to here an OTP phono stage, and would be happy to pop over and pick one up.

Rob
    Rob.