+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kraftwerk Live Birmingham

I'm James.

Default Kraftwerk Live Birmingham

Having not seen Kraftwerk live since around 1982 I was not sure what to expect 35 years on, however watching and listening to them at Symphony Hall Birmingham last night proved that not only were they one of the greatest electronic innovative bands of all time they still sound futuristic and relevant today. I know they have been a massive influence on all electronic music but they do inhabit their own electronic idiosyncratic bubble which is unlike any other in the musical world.

The concert was conducted using a massive HD screen which projected 3D images and film along with the music. Most of this material was highly impressive and some visuals absolutely stunning. They started their set with Numbers which flew out of the screen towards you as the band stood behind the computer console desks. The sound was massive and precise as indeed it was fed from Kling Klang, their recording studio equipment, it was a bit like listening to the mother of all fantastic hifi systems on an immense scale. One track in particular, Man Machine, was truly awesome and monumental in its sound. It was sublime to hear them play this live with the power and precision of truly great artists and technically brilliant both visually and sonically. WOW.

The rest of the 2 hours flew by with a the band disappearing briefly to be taken over by the Robot mannequins. Again the visuals and sound was truly fabulous. Finally they bowed out with Boing, Boom Tack which gave each member a chance to do a short solo. This not only proved they were actually playing some sections of the music but also highlighted which areas they were playing. Some of the sounds they produced were extaordinary! Finally Ralf Hutter took his bow and was given a standing ovation which he indeed deserved.

What a memorable night and awesome performance by one of the most important bands in all electronic music. They are still the greatest and best at what they do and I doubt anyone would not be moved by what they saw and heard.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ian.

Very nice write up James and glad you enjoyed the show. A friend of mine is going to see them at the Royal Albert Hall and I am very Jealous, I've got the Minimum Maximum DVD and that is quite stunning so seeing them live must be amazing.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Rich.

Pleased you enjoyed it Jim. I was actually offered a ticket for that show by a friend of this forum but due to work commitments couldn't make it.

I did however see them in 2004 at the Brixton Academy, not a 3D show but excellent all the same. In fact one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Funny how 4 guys with laptops can put on such a great show.

Minimum Maximum dvd captured some of that tour and is a must.

R
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Pleased you enjoyed it Jim. I was actually offered a ticket for that show by a friend of this forum but due to work commitments couldn't make it.

I did however see them in 2004 at the Brixton Academy, not a 3D show but excellent all the same. In fact one of the best gigs I've ever seen. Funny how 4 guys with laptops can put on such a great show.

Minimum Maximum dvd captured some of that tour and is a must.

R
    When they cranked the sound up Rich they were truly awesome.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm Mike.

I took my dad (79) to the Edinburgh show on Saturday night and every time I looked to my side to see if he was ok he had a massive grin on his face.

I've been wanting to see them since first hearing Autobahn in the mid 70's and the wait was worth it 😉 😎

I'm Geoff.

My brother is the same age and he would have enjoyed that. Mind you, the original Kraftwerk members can't be far off that age surely?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Ralf Hutter the only original member there last night is 70. He cycles a lot so probably fit as a fiddle.

I'm John.

I was there too last night Jimbo .... Row P Stalls centre... Birmingham Symphony Hall is a brilliant venue for sound but you're not allowed to stand up and dance!

The gig was amazing - I can't really add to your review and concur that the 2 hours just flew by.

I took my son (20) and a friend (25).....both of them thought it was stunning.

I saw the Kraftwerk previously in Nottingham in the early 80s, and then again in 2004 in Budapest which was recorded for the Minimum Maximum LP.

In my opinion a unique talent.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by johnB View Post
    I was there too last night Jimbo .... Row P Stalls centre... Birmingham Symphony Hall is a brilliant venue for sound but you're not allowed to stand up and dance!

The gig was amazing - I can't really add to your review and concur that the 2 hours just flew by.

I took my son (20) and a friend (25).....both of them thought it was stunning.

I saw the Kraftwerk previously in Nottingham in the early 80s, and then again in 2004 in Budapest which was recorded for the Minimum Maximum LP.

In my opinion a unique talent.

John
    John I was in the same row seat 14 row P Stalls! Yes what a great night and fantastic show. I thought the sound was amazing most of the night in symphony hall. Man machine,I think you may agree, was particularly impressive. What an awesome sound!

I'm Rich.

So in an unexpected turn of events a friend of mine posted on Facebook that he had a spare ticket for sale for Kraftwerk at the Sage Gateshead last night. I'd just got off a train home after being away with work and rushed to the venue to meet him. There was no way I could miss this...

For me, the Sage Gateshead is one of the best music venues in the country. Purpose build with fabulous acoustics, I was in the third row and the sound and visuals were stunning. It was nice to see Spacelab added to the set, one of my favourite KW tracks. And that bass on Aerodynamik... Pant wettingly gorgeous. I've played it at several bake offs as it'll show you how low a system can go. They wrung the best they could out of that system and it imaged like nothing I've heard at a live venue.

They did seem to have some equipment problems though, several times tracks went out of sync and the normally cool and robotic members were seen shooting each other concerned looks. At one point they had to stop a track short as the drum track was glitchy and wouldn't play in time. Very odd.

For all that though this made them more human/flawed and they had the Gateshead crowd with them all the way.

I was very lucky to have got a ticket and so happy to see them again. My copy of the excellent Minimum Maximum will be getting another play tonight i think.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast