Having not seen Kraftwerk live since around 1982 I was not sure what to expect 35 years on, however watching and listening to them at Symphony Hall Birmingham last night proved that not only were they one of the greatest electronic innovative bands of all time they still sound futuristic and relevant today. I know they have been a massive influence on all electronic music but they do inhabit their own electronic idiosyncratic bubble which is unlike any other in the musical world.

The concert was conducted using a massive HD screen which projected 3D images and film along with the music. Most of this material was highly impressive and some visuals absolutely stunning. They started their set with Numbers which flew out of the screen towards you as the band stood behind the computer console desks. The sound was massive and precise as indeed it was fed from Kling Klang, their recording studio equipment, it was a bit like listening to the mother of all fantastic hifi systems on an immense scale. One track in particular, Man Machine, was truly awesome and monumental in its sound. It was sublime to hear them play this live with the power and precision of truly great artists and technically brilliant both visually and sonically. WOW.

The rest of the 2 hours flew by with a the band disappearing briefly to be taken over by the Robot mannequins. Again the visuals and sound was truly fabulous. Finally they bowed out with Boing, Boom Tack which gave each member a chance to do a short solo. This not only proved they were actually playing some sections of the music but also highlighted which areas they were playing. Some of the sounds they produced were extaordinary! Finally Ralf Hutter took his bow and was given a standing ovation which he indeed deserved.

What a memorable night and awesome performance by one of the most important bands in all electronic music. They are still the greatest and best at what they do and I doubt anyone would not be moved by what they saw and heard.