+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending a piece of Hi Fi from UK to France

I'm Chris.

Default Sending a piece of Hi Fi from UK to France

Can anyone recommend a way to send an amplifier through the post from UK to France. Who have you used?

I'm Neil.

How heavy is the unit?

Basically, it needs to be boxed with the assumption that it will be dropped from waist height, wrapping in huge amounts of bubble wrap & double boxing is what I usually do including making rolls of bubble wrap to tightly pad in the components.

If you can, use UPS, they're the best & carefully handle their packages, it's worth paying a bit more. Whenever I've shipped abroad I've used UPS with no issues, but have had some bad handling experiences from Parcelforce International when I've put things through the Post Office. EDIT: for domestic packages I do use Royal Mail, Special Delivery if possible.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 14-06-2017 at 09:37.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

OK I have only rarely sent hi-fi to the continent but have sent a lot of photographic equipment. I always use the Post Office and get it sent tracked and signed for. It is seriously expensive though. I once sent Audiolab 8000M's and it cost around £68 to get them to Switzerland. Not at my expense of course. As has already been stated, pack them carefully and then pack them again.

I'm Grant.

fedex. expensive but even if the plane crashes.....

lol, sorry, em yes Ive used UPS once for an abroad job to italy and it arrived unscathed.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

I have us d UPS going the other way.
    If there is a collection point near the destination, it can be much cheaper to send.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Dave.

I have used many companies over the years but the best, in my experience, is UPS. Maybe a couple of Pounds more but they run like clockwork and the parcels are treated with care, usually placed on shelving rather than a heap to be climbed over.

I'm Adam.

As above - wrap it seriously well and double box it. If you wouldn't be prepared to hold it out straight and then drop it onto the floor without it surviving, then it's not yet well packed enough!

As to couriers, there are three choices in my experience:

(1) UPS
    (2) TNT
    (3) Load it into the car and drive it there yourself.

If you're tempted to use ParcelFarce, then I would smash the amplifier up, give it to a friend and tell them to hide it and never tell you where it is, then take £80 out of the bank and throw it away. This result is the same as using ParcelFarce, but it saves time.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Taz.

I used to sell spray guns and sent a few around Europe, used UPS too. I would do as others have recommended and bubble wrap the unit then on the outside box use plenty of that fragile tape

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post

If you're tempted to use ParcelFarce, then I would smash the amplifier up, give it to a friend and tell them to hide it and never tell you where it is, then take £80 out of the bank and throw it away. This result is the same as using ParcelFarce, but it saves time.
    lolz

UPS for me every time (bites finger nails!).

I'm Chris.

The unit is in its original double skinned cardboard box, but I will put additional bubble wrap inside and brown paper, tape and string on the outside.

I went straight to UPS. Parcel 10Kg 60x46x24cm insured at £600. Herts to near Paris comes out about £33 for UPS standard delivery. Didn't seem too bad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast