+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Large Vintage TANNOY Loudspeakers

I'm Chris.

Default FS: Large Vintage TANNOY Loudspeakers

Looking for £200 the pair - will not use courier (for obvious reasons - the size) but could arrange to personally drive / deliver as long as distances aren't too great - or we could meet halfway etc... (I live in Norfolk).

Being an easy load, they work really well with Tripath amps like the Musical Fidelity V90 pictured perched on the top (with Google Chromecast feeding the music in this example).

Woodwork has some marks expected for the age - and grills are missing. Very nice sounding loudspeaker and work perfectly. Ample 10 inch woofers and horn tweeter make for a nice package.

Last edited by loonytunes; 14-06-2017 at 06:44.

I'm jamie.

has the dust cap on one of the bass drivers been pushed in?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    has the dust cap on one of the bass drivers been pushed in?
    Yes there's a cap pushed in, the dust cap is a cloth like material and can probably be sucked back out again using a variable speed vacuum on low setting for example (I need to try this for myself). The integrity of the cap is fine apart from the indentation, and of course it does not affect the playback of the speaker.

I'm Neil.

..or if anyone is nervous about using a vacuum cleaner a small piece of duct tape attached to the dust cap and then gently pulled off will do the job
    Neil.

I'm nigel.

i think duct tape is to adhesive for dust caps....
    I have achieved good results in the past on plastic caps and cloth tweeters using paper masking tape.
    as it is pressure sensitive it can be simply laid across the indent or rubbed on using yer finger nail......then pulled out GENTLY!!

use a vacuum at your peril!!!

NIGE.

I'm Stuart.

I don't think I'd worry too much about it...it is only a dust cap to stop stuff getting into the voice coils.
    Sometimes when you need to re-glue the suspension of a speaker you have to remove the dust cap to ensure the voice coils are kept central.
    Then you have to re-fit a new dust cap.
    I could be wrong but i doubt this would make much difference to the sound.
    I had a speaker with a dinged dust cap, vacuumed it out...couldn't hear any difference.

I'm Chris.

Great responses about pulling out the dust cap.

Perhaps I will go ahead and try this soon then post up new, replacement photos.

Funnily enough I have some old Monitor Audios with the same cosmetic issue (cosmetic because it does no affect sound), again using cloth like material dust caps.

I'm Chris.

OK everyone I've done it - dust cap safely pulled out and looking cosmetically appealling once again (see pics). The careful application of tape to pull out the cap was completley ineffective - I couldn't get enough stick on the cap and that's using various different tapes - so I wasn't going to bother fiddling around with this useless method any more.

I sucked it out - but by being very careful - heeding the advice of 'SUMDAY' where it was noted 'use a vacuum at your peril!!! - but what was I to do - I had no choice.

The suction on our vacumm clearner even on the lowest setting I thought was too strong - so I improvised by cutting open a plastic water bottle to put on the end of the vacuum's hose, cut some holes in the side of the bottle to further weaken the suction, put some tape on the edges to soften the edges of the sharp plastic bottle once cut - then with careful application the method worked perfectly without too much excessive force.

So is this going to be a DIY thread or am I gonna sell something

I'm Mark.

Would be interested but just a bit too far away ........

P.s. How much for the vacuum attachment. ?

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    Would be interested but just a bit too far away ........

P.s. How much for the vacuum attachment. ?
    Well Len Co here's the deal - I'll throw in the vacuum attachment for free and I'm quite prepared to meet you halfway making your journey a mere 60 odd miles if you wish - I won't charge for my fuel if you don't barter the price down.

Howz that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast