+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A noob question.

I'm Tony.

Default A noob question.

I'm hesitating to ask this, but if I don't ask, I'm not going to find out ...

I'm not a hifi-ist, but my Father was. I'm currently trying to work out exactly what he had, and whether to keep or sell.

He used Nordost power cables from a Taga distribution block into the back of his equipment. But rather than than the "kettle" lead connectors that I was expecting (or captive power leads plumbed into the back of each unit) his CD player and pre amp (and probably the rest - I didn't check it all) have two prong style mains sockets??

Did he get these converted in some way to use the Nordost cables?

If I sell power cables (as they seem to be pricey) what would I replace them with?

The CD player is a Marantz KI Pearl Lite, and the preamp is an Audiolab 8000c, in case that matters.

I'm John.

Sounds like European Schuko connectors. The advantage of these is there's no fuse in the plugs so are arguably better sounding.

danilo Guest

Seems yer Dad drank the Audio Kool Aid at some point.
    Sell them on then buy yourself a decent Single Malt ant toast yer Father.
    Simple stoopid wires just like the ones that the Gear builders supplied will work.. Well!

I'm Tony.

The plug end is a standard UK 3 prong plug - it's the end that plugs into the CD / pre-amp / etc that looks different to what I expected.

I'm Geoff.

Why not post a photo here Tony.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Why not post a photo here Tony.
    Because I didn't think to take a photo of that particular part, and the equipment and I are about 200 miles apart now.

I'm Taz.

Hi Tony,

The 2 pronged cables will​ most likely be for connecting each unit to each other and you'll have one standard 3 pin UK plug to run from the mains (going into the amp). If it is this then each unit will need to be earthed, usually from​ a little screw on the back of each chassis.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

What shape are the socket apertures Tony?

If they are rectangular 'slots' designed to take a plug with flat blade-shaped prongs, then that is the standard mains socket used in the USA.
    Barry

I'm stuart.

Can you google 'mains connector' then click on the images tab and then send us a link to the picture that matches what you have?

I'm Tony.

I'll be back there next week. I'll take photos and post them here then. My mistake - I'd assumed that it was an obvious thing with an easy / obvious answer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast