+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFC Monitor Gold Custom Crossovers

I'm Paul.

Default RFC Monitor Gold Custom Crossovers

I recently took delivery of a pair of Lockwood Majors with MG15s. The original two box Tannoy crossovers were recapped by Paul at RFC. I'm very happy indeed with how the speakers sound. I think they work well in my room and have good synergy with the rest of my system.

That said, I see that many MG owners use custom crossovers and I am keen to get the most out of the speakers. I'm going to live with them as they are for a few weeks but I've been chatting with Paul of RFC and I am strongly inclined to buy his 'standard' formula external crossovers. I was wondering if anyone would care to comment or provide feedback on their experience of his custom Tannoy crossovers. Thanks in advance.

I'm Steve.

I've fitted many a pair of the RFC crossovers in the birch ply GRF replica cabinets or
    in separate crossover boxes that I make to order.
    They are quality items.
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm Paul.

Thanks Steve. That's helpful.

I'm Andrew.

Paul is one of those guys that will bend over backwards and then forwards again to help. His knowledge is massive with respects to Tannoy. To give you an example. He designed my cabs, gave me info on the best 15" MG drive units, designed the port and speaker cabinets tuning to my rooms dimensions. He built my XO to reference level (now my XO's have been bettered since then). In short the complete service. All you have to do is hand over your money and let him do the rest. My XO's sounded horrible when I first got them and then after a 100 hours or so really, really changed. Now I look forward to every sunday evening as it's single malt whiskey and jazz night . I now get fantastically transcribed jazz through the MG's. Paul's also extremely honest, I gave him a blank cheque and was quite happy to buy boutique parts for my XO's but ended up with a set of XO which had been carefully designed and parts selected. In short, give him your money and just enjoy a whole new level of audio reproduction. I would say that you need to know your "house" sound of your 15" MG's before you can fully appreciate what his XO's can do. I hope this helps.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

Thanks a lot Andrew. That gives me a great deal of confidence and is greatly appreciated. I also listen to a lot of jazz and it strikes me that the speakers suit the genre very well. Listening now to Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests. Just lovely.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    Thanks a lot Andrew. That gives me a great deal of confidence and is greatly appreciated. I also listen to a lot of jazz and it strikes me that the speakers suit the genre very well. Listening now to Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests. Just lovely.
    I also use Paul's crossovers with my HPDs, in a cabinet Paul designed based on the original 1961 corner Canterbury. Having been a Tannoy owner on and off for 30+ years and having owned over the last 10 years or so 15in MG and HPDs as well as 12in MGs and HPDs, in all sorts of cabinets from Lockwood Universal to Lancaster to Autograph to Cheviots to R-GRF to Chatsworth to my current Canterburys, I can say without any equivocation that Paul Tannoy expertise is literally second to none in any geography.

On top of that he's one of the nicest blokes you'll ever meet.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Also very honest, he also produces the longest most detailed replies to PM's.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I can say without any equivocation that Paul Tannoy expertise is literally second to none in any geography.

Thanks very much for chipping in Tom. It's very encouraging and reassuring to hear that, like Andrew and Steve, you rate Paul's work so highly. The fact that he's a thoroughly decent chap is the icing on the cake. I expect I'll go ahead and order the external crossovers in the few weeks, quite possibly sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Also very honest, he also produces the longest most detailed replies to PM's.
    I've had a few long conversations on the phone with Paul and I've learned a great deal. He's very generous with his time and does explain things thoroughly

I'm Nial.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post

He, he,...great ain't it...was listening to it myself today. Another, an album called Skol - Peterson with Stephane Grappelli has been getting a lot of play here too....
    Tannoys are great Jazz speakses....

I'm Neil.

All of the best HiFi is built by one-man bands or very small groups.

...few of them advertise in HiFi magazines.

Paul is one of the good guys, whilst I haven't heard his gear I've enjoyed his posts on the forums & reading about his experiences.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast