+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    The best speakers I've ever heard were in the purpose built garage/listening room of an enthusiast in South Africa. They used Tannoy Autographs loaded with HPDs for the bass, three Sequerra style ribbons for mid, HF and EHF and transmission lines for mid bass. I remember source was a MF cd player and there was a Radford STA25 somewhere in the equation too. Everything but the Autos was the creation of local ribbon guru Mr Singh, who's house I also visited and who had dismembered Apogees scattered around. His opinion of Apogees wasn't too high - I think his own ribbons were much more amp friendly impedance-wise and much more efficient too, matching the Autos.

The sound was just superb in every way - effortless headroom, clarity, scale and presence without any edginess whatever. And imaging was such that the dog barking on the Waters Amused to Death was unambiguously behind the listener, likewise the radio was some distance outside the speakers, both solid and palpable - something I've never been able to repeat with my own rig. Better than Apogees? Well, I have to say way better than ones I've heard - so maybe Mr Singh was right - this set up bettered anything I've heard at shows, and not just by a small margin.
    You are invited to hear a good pair of Apogees if you want to take the offer up. 3.5 hour drive though.

They will reset this nonsense I read above LOL.

I'm Geoff.

Can't you only ever say, "The best speakers in that room"?
    It's a very boring thought, but my old B&W 801's were sublime in my old house. My room was 40 feet long by 20 wide and 15 tall though. I didn't even bother to bring them to my current place because I knew the room couldn't do them justice.
    Main system: Sony TTS8000; AT1010; Audio Technica Art1; The Lentek; Cambridge 851n, Yamaha NS1000.
    System 2 - SBT; Technics SH-X1000 DAC; Denon PMA-850

I'm Justin.

There isn't really a best speaker because of that I reckon Oldius.

I'm Justin.

My personal opinion is that nothing is really up to much at any price point and everything sounds rubbish with poor source. What a hobby.

Televisions are the same. Really look at the best examples. Then look at the real world. Are they really anywhere near the same visually? No, not really. Sure they can look fab - seriously good but do they look real? Fuck off do they.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    My personal opinion is that nothing is really up to much at any price point and everything sounds rubbish with poor source. What a hobby.

Televisions are the same. Really look at the best examples. Then look at the real world. Are they really anywhere near the same visually? No, not really. Sure they can look fab - seriously good but do they look real? Fuck off do they.
    Yep - there isn't, as yet, an audio system anywhere in the world that can close to replicating the experience of listening to a live unamplified concert, and I doubt there ever will be.

On the other hand, some of the 4G OLED TVs are stunning to look at, especially if they are showing wildlife or natural history programmes.
    Barry

I'm Justin.

They are stunning to look at on my OLED but they don't look real.

I wonder whether audio is closer to real than TV is. TV can't do 3D that isn't uncomfortable to look at and 3D cues are paramount to looking real. Think about it. They can look fab but keep comparing what you see to the real world. Again and again. They are a gazillion miles off.

I'm Russell.

That's one thing about this hobby, there is no upper limit. If someone has a design that he claims will sound better, someone. Somewhere will but it. I thought I had seen everything when I saw a $10k phono cartridge, but now I've seen them nearing $20k! Few markets can stand that kind of upper end, perhaps performance autos? But not many industries can continually reach for perfection at any cost, and actually sell product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    They are stunning to look at on my OLED but they don't look real.

I wonder whether audio is closer to real than TV is. TV can't do 3D that isn't uncomfortable to look at and 3D cues are paramount to looking real. Think about it. They can look fab but keep comparing what you see to the real world. Again and again. They are a gazillion miles off.
    A big problem imo regarding TV or film images is that in 'real life' the eye varies its focus continually as a scene is viewed and different objects in the scene are focused on - the camera doesn't do that under the viewers control (and anyway does it very differently).
    A recorded scene is never going to look real for that reason.

I'm Justin.

Another huge problem a TV has is that it has to condense everything into a small frame - even on large screens it is small compared to the real world.

There's also some weird luminosity going on where light is pushed out at you rather than light falling naturally on an object. The two effects are very different.

I was in PC World looking at the latest £5K Sony (LG panel) watching some glass blowing video. A couple were talking to a sales rep. The lady says "that nearly looks real" and the chap said "that's a lot better than LGs". He didn't like it much when I told him the panel was an LG LOL.

But anyway the salient point I thought was although it looked fantastic - way above what you'll get in practise with most video sources at home, it had that luminosity issue in abundance. HDR seems to make that aspect even worse TBH.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    Mixed with q sound I believe - nontheless, thats what it did.
    Seems I'm not the only one either

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...nd-avalon-opus
    I bought the Amused to Death album, just for the novelty really. I haven't had the patience to listen to it all but I can confirm that the barking dog on the opening track does indeed sound to be coming from some way off behind your right shoulder. Other effects also go well beyond the speakers. This guy goes to some length explaining what you should hear and how you should hear it! http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/waters.htm There doesn't appear to be a huge amount mixed with qsound however.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast