+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I know loudness is on a steep curve. Can't remember if thats exponential, parabolic, tangental, sinusoidal or other though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've had the best part of 120db in my little 'den'. Mind you, that needed around 40 watts .

Oh love the look of those and would love 'em more in zebrano veneer

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Oh love the look of those and would love 'em more in zebrano veneer
    You might just find a set in Japan or elswhere overseas Shaun, but they'd cost you dear.

There's a homebuilt pair here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkGnijb54A Dodgy oriental music, but look at the rest of this guy's kit!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 12-06-2017 at 09:03.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shane.

I wonder how much it costs, to build a pair of Kiss speakers? (Before profit etc)

S.

I'm Nial.

The best speakers I've ever heard were in the purpose built garage/listening room of an enthusiast in South Africa. They used Tannoy Autographs loaded with HPDs for the bass, three Sequerra style ribbons for mid, HF and EHF and transmission lines for mid bass. I remember source was a MF cd player and there was a Radford STA25 somewhere in the equation too. Everything but the Autos was the creation of local ribbon guru Mr Singh, who's house I also visited and who had dismembered Apogees scattered around. His opinion of Apogees wasn't too high - I think his own ribbons were much more amp friendly impedance-wise and much more efficient too, matching the Autos.

The sound was just superb in every way - effortless headroom, clarity, scale and presence without any edginess whatever. And imaging was such that the dog barking on the Waters Amused to Death was unambiguously behind the listener, likewise the radio was some distance outside the speakers, both solid and palpable - something I've never been able to repeat with my own rig. Better than Apogees? Well, I have to say way better than ones I've heard - so maybe Mr Singh was right - this set up bettered anything I've heard at shows, and not just by a small margin.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    And imaging was such that the dog barking on the Waters Amused to Death was unambiguously behind the listener,
    How is that achieved? Would it it have been mixed to be behind the listener? I suppose it uses the the reflection off walls, which would be different in any room, I just cannot get my head around how it is achieved. Is it common with super expensive kit?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Is it common with super expensive kit?
    No.

And you can't have non-reflected sounds coming from behind unless there is a source for them behind you.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    How is that achieved? Would it it have been mixed to be behind the listener? I suppose it uses the the reflection off walls, which would be different in any room, I just cannot get my head around how it is achieved. Is it common with super expensive kit?
    This was achieved using a 'Q' sound mixing process, which I believe throws certain elements out if phase to get the effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by ff1d1l View Post
    The best speakers I've ever heard were in the purpose built garage/listening room of an enthusiast in South Africa. They used Tannoy Autographs loaded with HPDs for the bass, three Sequerra style ribbons for mid, HF and EHF and transmission lines for mid bass. I remember source was a MF cd player and there was a Radford STA25 somewhere in the equation too. Everything but the Autos was the creation of local ribbon guru Mr Singh, who's house I also visited and who had dismembered Apogees scattered around. His opinion of Apogees wasn't too high - I think his own ribbons were much more amp friendly impedance-wise and much more efficient too, matching the Autos.

The sound was just superb in every way - effortless headroom, clarity, scale and presence without any edginess whatever. And imaging was such that the dog barking on the Waters Amused to Death was unambiguously behind the listener, likewise the radio was some distance outside the speakers, both solid and palpable - something I've never been able to repeat with my own rig. Better than Apogees? Well, I have to say way better than ones I've heard - so maybe Mr Singh was right - this set up bettered anything I've heard at shows, and not just by a small margin.
    You are invited to hear a good pair of Apogees if you want to take the offer up. 3.5 hour drive though.

They will reset this nonsense I read above LOL.

I'm Nial.

Mixed with q sound I believe - nontheless, thats what it did.
    Seems I'm not the only one either

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...nd-avalon-opus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast