+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I expect it's already happened Barry.
    Indeed it has. And then some. At the risk of making Barry look like Doctor Evil making a ransom demand, here are some $2 million loudspeakers:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Trans...m-118692.shtml
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I expect it's already happened Barry.
    It seems it has: http://worldmost.org/most-expensive-speakers/
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

Barry

I'm Jez.

Has anyone ever confirmed their existence? I find the specs unbelievable frankly.... 143dB continuous? At what frequency? and what distance?

I'm Shane.

I wonder how much it costs, to build a pair of Kiss speakers? (Before profit etc)

S.
    Shane Lonergan........UB1 Birth.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Has anyone ever confirmed their existence? I find the specs unbelievable frankly.... 143dB continuous? At what frequency? and what distance?
    6KW of power spread over 'a mind-boggling array of forty 15” subwoofers and twenty-four 8” woofers. Summing these with the 210ft, 2” HF/midrange ribbon and the 13ft, 1” UHF ribbon'

It isn't impossible if you open that up full chat
    Martin

Current Lash Up:

Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / NVA A30 Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

I've had the best part of 120db in my little 'den'. Mind you, that needed around 40 watts .

Mr. Tact!

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"

Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I've had the best part of 120db in my little 'den'. Mind you, that needed around 40 watts .
    So with an extra 7,960 watts you could reach +143dB, though I doubt your speakers (or your hearing) would survive!

Barry

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I know loudness is on a steep curve. Can't remember if thats exponential, parabolic, tangental, sinusoidal or other though.
    Mr. Tact!

"when common sense, logic and plausibility are ruled out. All that remain are lies and foolishness"

Gear: MMs/ADCs/Low output MC's/One rare Japanese SUT/one scarce British phono stage/various tonearms/two hefty Japanese DD TT's/hefty Japanese BD TT/smaller Japanese BD TT and small British BD TT. One CD transport/3 CD players/2 jitter buster/2 DACs/Valve buffer. One MD deck. One tuner. Two TVC pre-amps/two valve pre-amps/solid state pre-amp/passive pre-amp. Current dumping power-amp or either of two Class A SS power-amp or Class A EL34 valve monos or big Japanese (part Class A) integrated. Big dual concentric speakers/Smaller dual concentric speakers/two way British compacts and full range speakers, amongst others. And too much more to list!

I believe sound pressure levels of 200dB above the threshold of hearing can kill.

Barry

I'm Geoff.

Dunno. Never tried it!

Wouldn't make one too popular with neighbours I should think.
    Mr. Tact!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast