+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

danilo Guest

Google up one (or All) of Dr F Tooles' youtube lectures.
    Fascinating listen from the man who established a method to analyize speakers to determine if they sound good.

He maintained that the centre channel is 90% of the perceived sounds.... 5.1.... 7.1 etc.. is mere distraction..irrelevant
    Also claims that the room has Small (negligible) effect and only then below 200hz.
    But hey! the viewing of all this..is only a few clicks away :-0

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Google up one (or All) of Dr F Tooles' youtube lectures.
    Fascinating listen from the man who established a method to analyize speakers to determine if they sound good.

He maintained that the centre channel is 90% of the perceived sounds.... 5.1.... 7.1 etc.. is mere distraction..irrelevant
    Also claims that the room has Small (negligible) effect and only then below 200hz.
    But hey! the viewing of all this..is only a few clicks away :-0
    Not strictly true. He says that the room has an effect it is just that we hear through it, at least we do above bass frequencies. In the bass the room can have a huge influence on what we hear, depending on size and the speakers used.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    How is that achieved? Would it it have been mixed to be behind the listener? I suppose it uses the the reflection off walls, which would be different in any room, I just cannot get my head around how it is achieved. Is it common with super expensive kit?
    This was achieved using a 'Q' sound mixing process, which I believe throws certain elements out if phase to get the effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Another huge problem a TV has is that it has to condense everything into a small frame - even on large screens it is small compared to the real world.

There's also some weird luminosity going on where light is pushed out at you rather than light falling naturally on an object. The two effects are very different.

I was in PC World looking at the latest £5K Sony (LG panel) watching some glass blowing video. A couple were talking to a sales rep. The lady says "that nearly looks real" and the chap said "that's a lot better than LGs". He didn't like it much when I told him the panel was an LG LOL.

But anyway the salient point I thought was although it looked fantastic - way above what you'll get in practise with most video sources at home, it had that luminosity issue in abundance. HDR seems to make that aspect even worse TBH.

When I used to calibrate my displays, I used to use a pro Sony camera and stick it out of the window, when what I saw on screen looked as close to what I was seeing out of the window I left the settings like that. Colour used to be around 1/3 lower than all the calibrated settings on the forums and lower than I was getting calibrating with software, but the image did look more lifelike.

This Pioneer 500M was set this way..

As was this Panny panel...

Both had colour right down.

But as you say, the problem is there is always that sort of false lighting or pushed iso effect that makes you know it is not real.
    Sitting Room - Volumio- Tidal - Raspberry Pi with Khadas Tone Board - Marantz PM7003 - Spendor S6e + Rel Strata.
    TV Room - Arcam Solo Movie + Mission 752s + Mission 75c + Rel Strata.

I'm Stephen.

This thread has wandered somewhat from the original subject, but I suppose this is the nature of a forum. I'm the owner of 'The Kiss' speakers referred to by Clive197. They are of an unusual design, to say the least. Not only are the stands assymetric, they are raked back. That also weigh 66 kilos each, with stands, plus the Townsend Podiums, which are a fair few kilos themselves. The top speaker is adjustable for both turn and tilt, with the tilt mechanism taking up about 25% of the lower box. The manufacturing finish is exemplary. I can understand that visually they will not be to everyone's taste, but they are certainly not ugly. I'm still adjusting their position and am slowly getting closer to a balanced sound. My experience so far is that they are superbly detailed and drag a lot of detail out of both digital and analogue sources. If anyone local to me in Welwyn Garden City, who would like to listen, they should get in touch. The vinyl side of things is all new, and probably won't be at its best for a month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    This thread has wandered somewhat from the original subject.....
    Yeah, I was going to say before getting sidetracked.

The ones that have really impressed me most are....

Dunlavey SCIV's, big sound that do vocals and piano so damned well.

Quad ESL's, 57s sweet as they get, 63's/988's not quite as sweet but just an uncanny midrange and instruments sound like proper instruments, especially strings.

Meridian DSP8000s. They just sound so detailed and yet so smooth and sound the same whether playing at 0db or at -40db at midnight, being DSP the balance between bass, mid and top end sounds the same no matter what volume they are played at. Happily live with the DSP5200s or 7200s as well.
    Sitting Room - Volumio- Tidal - Raspberry Pi with Khadas Tone Board - Marantz PM7003 - Spendor S6e + Rel Strata.

I'm Dennis.

I haven't heard the Meridians you mention, but I have the 6000s at the '97 show and they were so dreadful all who walked into the room frowned in pain at the top.

They must have sorted them.

Today, after becoming despondant with my ADAM Gammas, my mainly listening to radio, suddenly the most beautiful vocals live on R2, this showing that most speech is abysmal, and that they are very closely following the source.

What a relief, and also a shame that R4 speech is so routinely abysmal.

I'm Guy.

I never liked the 18 bit 6000s, but did like the later 24bit versions.
    Oh, actually in '97 that may have been the D6000's rather than DSP6000.

But it is the DSP5200se, 7200se and 8000se models that I love.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567