+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

danilo Guest

Default DB realities...

A bit different than assumed ones
    https://www.chem.purdue.edu/chemsafe...n/dblevels.htm

I'm gone.

I think everyone's dream speakers are different.
    We all have different expectations and want different things.
    Avantgarde Trios for Geoff, perhaps - Wilsons or Avalons for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I don't try see the point of listening to something I'll never be able to afford or buy, it would just annoy me, forever, lol
    Hmm, yeah, me too!
    Which is why the Munich Show does not appeal to me.

Although -- if I hadn't heard way-out-of-reach MBL speakers at a succession of London Shows the wife would never had had a chance to say I should get some.

I'm Shaun.

Yeah, I agree with Audio Al, I have not yet heard anything that I would consider to be the best in any form of hi-fi, speakers or otherwise which is why I constantly look forward to that possibility. I once owned a Kiseki Blue cartridge and that suited my ears perfectly so that is still the best cartridge I have ever heard but regarding all other components, no, not yet.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I've had the best part of 120db in my little 'den'. Mind you, that needed around 40 watts .

Oh love the look of those and would love 'em more in zebrano veneer

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Oh love the look of those and would love 'em more in zebrano veneer
    You might just find a set in Japan or elswhere overseas Shaun, but they'd cost you dear.

There's a homebuilt pair here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KkGnijb54A Dodgy oriental music, but look at the rest of this guy's kit!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 12-06-2017 at 09:03.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    It is everyone's own idea of what is great and perfect I guess. First time imprssive doesnt always mean you will like a few months in. Speakers especially suffer from this. I quite like my ow ones but am first to admit they have their faults. Its just that I can currently live with them.
    Nail head
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Nail head
    Och I didn't think Grant was that bad 😋 😁

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I don't try see the point of listening to something I'll never be able to afford or buy, it would just annoy me, forever, lol
    Whilst this seems a bit defeatist, I can kind of see where you're coming from.

I remember hearing a pair of loudspeakers at the Munich High End Show in 2008 that left me utterly astounded. It was the best sound I had ever heard and I thought there's a good chance I will never hear anything this good again (9 years on, I still haven't). I actually flew home a bit depressed because of this thought, plus the fact that I could never afford or accommodate the speakers in question, anyway.

However, I got over it and part of the fun since then has been to try and find something that could match them and maybe even that I could afford and also fit into my lounge. Last year I finally heard something that does get sonically quite close and which cost a quarter of those originals. Sadly, I can't afford them either!

As to those original speakers, the company only made one pair as a "look what we can do when we really remove all limits" excercise. They said they'd still make some to order if anyone wants some but they are no longer part of their range. I also asked about those demo models and was told "Oh, they're kicking around the factory somewhere" - I could have cried!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    Nail head
    Long-term listening enjoyment is the most important measurement in HiFi.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Nial.

The best speakers I've ever heard were in the purpose built garage/listening room of an enthusiast in South Africa. They used Tannoy Autographs loaded with HPDs for the bass, three Sequerra style ribbons for mid, HF and EHF and transmission lines for mid bass. I remember source was a MF cd player and there was a Radford STA25 somewhere in the equation too. Everything but the Autos was the creation of local ribbon guru Mr Singh, who's house I also visited and who had dismembered Apogees scattered around. His opinion of Apogees wasn't too high - I think his own ribbons were much more amp friendly impedance-wise and much more efficient too, matching the Autos.

The sound was just superb in every way - effortless headroom, clarity, scale and presence without any edginess whatever. And imaging was such that the dog barking on the Waters Amused to Death was unambiguously behind the listener, likewise the radio was some distance outside the speakers, both solid and palpable - something I've never been able to repeat with my own rig. Better than Apogees? Well, I have to say way better than ones I've heard - so maybe Mr Singh was right - this set up bettered anything I've heard at shows, and not just by a small margin.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast