+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The best speakers I've ever heard.

I'm Clive.

Default The best speakers I've ever heard.

Yesterday I visited a friend who like me has a full Cyrus Signature system. He has just come into possession of a pair of Vienna Acoustics "The Kiss" speakers. Put simply, these are the best speakers I've heard in my life. Some piano music (Dave Brubeck) was played and I closed my eyes and could honestly believe that there was a piano in the room, it was simply breathtaking. Then some female vocal (Eva Cassidy), she could also have been in the room.
    After a couple of hours I was feeling a little sad as I knew that a) I could never afford a pair of these magnificent speakers and b) I could never put a pair in my room as SWIMBO would throw a dippy fit. On their stands they are huge and wot with the £14,000 they cost, I'm sure divorce would be on the cards. My friend was exceptionally lucky to be offered these secondhand for less than I had paid for my Spendor's. As you can understand, he decided that to refuse would have been very rude.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Brian.

These look nice Clive . I've heard a few speakers over the years which I would like to have but couldn't afford . If it helps any , I can't afford these either

Doesn't make it any easier to get them out of my head either
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Martin.

Interesting design. Can see how they could be pretty good. Stereophile review here https://www.stereophile.com/floorlou...ker/index.html
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

I don't try see the point of listening to something I'll never be able to afford or buy, it would just annoy me, forever, lol

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I don't try see the point of listening to something I'll never be able to afford or buy, it would just annoy me, forever, lol
    Funny point of view Mike. I enjoy listening to all gear, regardless of cost. The Avant Garde Trios spring to mind, love hearing those, but there's no way I could buy them.

There again. I've heard mega dear Avalons and Wilsons and been pretty underwhelmed each time.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Robert.

Nice post Clive. At £14K retail I'd expect something very very special 'cause that's a lot of pound coins in anyone's language whether they can afford them or not.

Looks like he got a a right result going by what you said he got them for - lucky boy!

I'm Phil.

yes I heard the kiss speakers , glad you were impressed . are you going to put a review on the cu forum ?
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Russell.

I heard some electrostatics driven by a mega expensive system at a local salon some 28 years ago, and I've been chasing that sound ever since. I'm still not there, but getting closer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    yes I heard the kiss speakers , glad you were impressed . are you going to put a review on the cu forum ?
    No, I'll leave that to Steve as they are his speakers
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm paul.

Clive, they may well be the best speakers you've heard but the law of physics tells me they may not be as good as they look and maybe their looks seduced you more. £14000 is a lot of money for a pair of stand mounts albeit with unique life style looks. It's all about what people will pay at the end of the day.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast