+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you enjoy listening to music ...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Whisky makes me SPU!
    You Should stick to Whiskey maybe? cant stand that filth myself
    Give me a Scotch any day

As I have no cash have make do with what I have
    Last night I got in bed and put some Bach on it was glorious
    The important thing is to enjoy what you have
    These days I think the record is the most important thing listening to Buffalo Springfield again on youtube and loving it

I'm Dennis.

One has to look at ones own path to see what happens, and what can happen, and your own journey may have a similarity to mine..

In the days of the radio-gram, with uncles and a Father both interested in Hi-Fi, one could hear that the latter was better. Then as adulthood approached, in my case coinciding with a musical and political revolution, there was another change, the appearance of warehouses selling Hi-Fi at reduced margins and high volume.

At that time 'everybody' was enthusing about the revelations that were obtainable from this Hi-Fi, now not beyond the reach of people. My peers all were comparing and buying both equipment and the revelatory art, and we really did hear more detail and hence the intentions of the artists.

Surely though there is a limit to this, and we can continue to improve a system to the point of criticising the artistic aspiration and production, and it can become an obsession, and even a distraction from the original intent.

I argue that the artistic creativity has declined, often music having been hi-jacked by corporations, and with little control given to the artists.

The result is poorer art, with IMO little real depth, and recordings which we now are readily able to criticise on technical grounds, (but ironically with much better equipment available with which to produce it.

So I ask, if you are going to drink poison, does it really matter what the spoon is made of, or whether or not it is clean?

What I have now is enough for me to know that most broadcast material is utterly flawed on SQ grounds, and that the material I hear is worse for me, because I am able to hear the banality of the artist's efforts clearly, the over use of samplers, the voice correction, and the clichéd drivel churned out, and with all its technical flaws.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think of it like buying a classic car and doing it up. Each weekend you do a bit of work on it then you go for a drive.
    I can relate to that comparison @Macca - I did try the classic car thing a while back. And decided that I preferred to drive a more reliable car in more comfort, and I'd just enjoy looking at other people's classic cars at shows!

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    I argue that the artistic creativity has declined, often music having been hi-jacked by corporations, and with little control given to the artists.

The result is poorer art, with IMO little real depth, and recordings which we now are readily able to criticise on technical grounds, (but ironically with much better equipment available with which to produce it.

This is probably veering away from the original question a bit, but whilst I see your point, I'd argue that the *average* quality of the art has declined due to the amount of poor art that is now available, due to the increased number of channels to market and the reduced costs of creating and publishing the art, but there's probably still the same amount of really "good" stuff out there.

Back in the day, there were far fewer releases, and it was a lot easier to sort the good from the poor (whether in terms of personal taste, production quality, or whatever). Today, there are probably still as many "good" artists/releases but it's now a lot harder to find them amongst the dross.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    Old hifi equipment attractive women and cars in that order for me
    Couldn't have put it better myself!

My hifi "journey" was restless (and hence expensive!) for the first few years, until I realised that I didn't need to be always searching for something "better" but for something that better suited my tastes - I was surprised how quickly my current system (now unchanged for over 10 years in the main listening room) settled into something I could enjoy every day once I shifted my approach a little. We are all different, but for me, accepting a component that was "good" but not "great" because I liked the sound really improved my enjoyment of the music.

One example was going from a huge set of floorstanders to my tiny Royd Minstrels and losing the bottom octave in the process. My favourite 1980's pop tracks didn't suffer and room placement/conditioning became much easier. The music seemed to come to life in my head when I listened and I realised that I wanted the timing and precision of the Royds above anything else. I can't see any scenario when I would willingly sell those speakers now, or the fairly humble 30 year old B&O system they are connected to. For me, in my lounge, they make me fall in love with my music, over and over again.

Off to play "Silver Blue" by Roxette on 12" single........

Kind regards, Steve
    My day job: Making bespoke audio cables
    My current kit: B&O Beosystem 3500, Royd Minstrels, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Kef Ci50R, B&O Beotime, B&O Beolab Penta III, B&O Beolab 3000, Behringer Xenyx 302USB, Acer H6510BD projector, GrandView 75" screen, Dell media PC.
    My website: www.soundsheavenly.com
    My email: steve@soundsheavenly.com

I'm Andrew.

Default Can you enjoy listening to music ...

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I think of it like buying a classic car and doing it up. Each weekend you do a bit of work on it then you go for a drive. Over the years you've improved it quite a bit. It isn't the best car in the world but it drives a lot better than it did when you first bought it. But regardless there has never been an occasion when you didn't enjoy driving it, even if you know it could be better.

The alternative is just buy a new car and drive it, and never tinker.

Both approaches are valid and I don't think the tinkerer enjoys his drive any less for it.
    Perfectly summed up Macca

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    ... if you're a real "hifi" obsessive?

I ask this because I'm just discovering what my (late) father spent on his hifi setup, and how he seemed to always be searching for that something extra that would complete his setup to his satisfaction.

Not sure that he ever found that missing piece, because he was still looking until - almost literally - the day he died. And because he was always listening so critically, always finding something that he thought could be improved, I'm not sure that he ever really relaxed and just enjoyed listening.

Or is that just the difference between listening actively and passively?

In contrast, I'm just happy to put a CD in my average player, switch on my average amp, and listen to the sounds coming out of my average speakers.

Perhaps that means that my ears aren't educated enough to be critical, to appreciate what's missing or sub-optimal. Perhaps I'd enjoy the experience more if I listened more critically, or perhaps I'd just be forever chasing my version of aural perfection and be forever dissatisfied with what I heard?

Dare I even consider swapping some of my (standard in-the-box) interconnects for something more hifi, or would that be a dangerous first step?
    You describe your father as listening as if something was missing, as if he were always searching for that missing piece. Well, I can't speak for him, but for me it's not exactly the case.

I install my latest upgrade and listen, and am usually wowed by the improvement! I am enjoying the music more than ever! And it makes me think, how much better can it get? What if I improve this other part? Will that bring me even more pleasure? How much better can it get?

I am perfectly pleased with my stereo, and love the music it makes! But each improvement brings me a little closer to nirvana. I have never regretted a single purchase so far, each and every upgrade I have carefully chosen has been well worth the cost. I listened to my stereo today, and am still amazed at how great it sounds! Certain passages still wow me, catch me off guard and "Reach Me". But as soon as it's over, I wonder, how much better will it sound after my next upgrade?

Audiophilia is a sickness, no matter how good it gets, I will always wonder if it could be Better. I'm not disappointed, if I never added another single thing to my system I could die happy! But, as a hobby, I am driven to squeeze a bit more from it. Much like a race car guy will try to get that last 100th of a second out of his car.

As far as cables go, you don't have to spend a fortune to get good cables. And most decent cables are better than the "stock" cables they give you with gear. Try an affordable used set and see what you think. There is a sense of satisfaction when you do something and it makes an improvement. A sense of accomplishment.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsheavenly View Post
    ... until I realised that I didn't need to be always searching for something "better" but for something that better suited my tastes
    100% percent agree there. That is the point at which I finally started liking what I bought :-)

Whenever I sit in front of my stereo and listen, I generally end up listening more to the sound rather than the music. That is when I start picking out faults. If I mildly occupy my mind with something else, like looking at photos or surfing the net, and I have the music turned down to a quieter level, I find that the music is so much more engaging. And then I realize just how great my system really is (to me).

I'm Shaun.

Could it be that it is the music that gives me pleasure and not the hi-fi...? Maybe, but then why waste over ten grand on hi-fi...? My connection is definitely with the music which is why my selection is fairly limited but my hi-fi helps me to hear the music in a way that adds more emotive power and so therefore, more satisfaction. Have I ever reached a point where there is no where else to go...? I am not really sure on that one as I feel I could perhaps improve things with a much better phono stage, the current one built in to the preamp being a bit of a bottleneck but if I just take in to account CD then I now have nowhere else to go. I am where I want to be. Now then, what about that phono stage

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Could it be that it is the music that gives me pleasure and not the hi-fi...?
    Well I think that describes me Shaun. I'm interested in Hi-Fi, but I'm obsessed with music.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast