... if you're a real "hifi" obsessive?

I ask this because I'm just discovering what my (late) father spent on his hifi setup, and how he seemed to always be searching for that something extra that would complete his setup to his satisfaction.

Not sure that he ever found that missing piece, because he was still looking until - almost literally - the day he died. And because he was always listening so critically, always finding something that he thought could be improved, I'm not sure that he ever really relaxed and just enjoyed listening.

Or is that just the difference between listening actively and passively?

In contrast, I'm just happy to put a CD in my average player, switch on my average amp, and listen to the sounds coming out of my average speakers.

Perhaps that means that my ears aren't educated enough to be critical, to appreciate what's missing or sub-optimal. Perhaps I'd enjoy the experience more if I listened more critically, or perhaps I'd just be forever chasing my version of aural perfection and be forever dissatisfied with what I heard?

Dare I even consider swapping some of my (standard in-the-box) interconnects for something more hifi, or would that be a dangerous first step?