+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can you enjoy listening to music ...

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Well I think that describes me Shaun. I'm interested in Hi-Fi, but I'm obsessed with music.
    Yeah I fully understand your sentiment there which is why I own a Les Paul and play quite badly but still play. I put it through valves of course so that I get that glorious 70's rock sound but I also program loads of techno music in FL Studio 12 as well. On top of that I love analogue synthesisers. I guess in truly technical terms it is not the music I am obsessed with but the sound of the instruments. It's just that noise, I just love it.

I'm Neil.

I can listen to music on my system now, but it took me taking a step back, doing some big upgrades that I have not felt any need to change for years now. In fact, I fear making a change as I think it could make me start listening to the HiFi instead of the music again, which took me years to get out of doing. It is a poor show listening to vocal sibilance instead of music!
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

I remember being up all night laying out my Naim speaker cable and polishing the REAL wood veneer on my large speakers. I felt a sense of pride that I had Deltron inners well soldered and heatshrinked. Just the right look and Im serious about this I thought

My American girlfriend at the time said something along the lines of what do you need all that stuff (rewording it it politely) for as she was happily getting into the Grateful Dead on a radio cassette player. Shes dancing and Im dusting.

She loved the Happy Mondays "Bummed" album but at no point did she comment on my Monitor Audios or amplification sounding good for the money. I was disappointed as that could have cemented our relationship

That sort of sums up a period in my life where the equipment took priority. I also had an American Psycho stage where coffee table albums (the usual suspects from the hi fi shows) would make my system sound good. I was losing track of any real taste or experimentation in music. I tried to forget that I had happier times with music on a Sharp rack system...not to say it sounded as good but I was enjoying my Joy Division 12" etc for the great records they were. The level of rumble and fine detail didnt really affect my enjoyment.

I think you can enjoy the music as long as the pursuit of perfect sound hasnt become an obsession. Even at my lowly level I had become unhappy wondering if I should have bought other equipment....I can imagine that this carries on up the exponential price scale while pursuing the dream.

I joke about a Moon Audio installation because it tickles my funny bone for some reason. In all seriousness, I cant afford that sort of equipment but I dont consider my gear as worthless in conveying the music. I suppose it depends if you have been spoilt and what you consider the essence or basis of the music being conveyed.

Ive been to hi fi shows and I know the experience gets more involving with a Nautilus style set up. However its still a lovely moment when I hit the volume sweet spot and my Royds are sounding good for the money.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 16-06-2017 at 17:21.

I'm Steve.

Hi Martin,

Maybe it is something about Royd Minstrels that makes us think "I'm not really going to be able to improve on this sound".........

Kind regards, Steve.
    My day job: Making bespoke audio cables
    My current kit: B&O Beosystem 3500, Royd Minstrels, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Kef Ci50R, B&O Beotime, B&O Beolab Penta III, B&O Beolab 3000, Behringer Xenyx 302USB, Acer H6510BD projector, GrandView 75" screen, Dell media PC.
    My website: www.soundsheavenly.com
    My email: steve@soundsheavenly.com

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    . I also had an American Psycho stage where coffee table albums (the usual suspects from the hi fi shows) would make my system sound good. I was losing track of any real taste or experimentation in music. I tried to forget that I had happier times with music on a Sharp rack systemy.
    The biggest pitfall in hi-fi.

Happy Mondays - 'Bummed' -
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

LOL... coffee table albums

I have the now standard half speed mastered Boston album from that very period.

I'm Shaun.

Back in 2003 I did the very unspeakable and removed all hi-fi from my life convinced I could get by just as easily with a Sharp audio thingy. It lasted about a year. I could not get by because I knew every time I listened just what it was I was missing from the music.

I'm Dennis.

Despite the negative post referring to my own last one being slightly off thread, I think that our personal journey must be understood in order to gain a better perspective and understanding of what we are doing with this interest.

We all want to extract the maximum from the source - the art, it excites and enraptures us for numerous reasons.
    As we improve the Hi-Fi we extract more, up to a point at which we hear not only the artists intentions, but also his errors, the mistimed parts, and the recording's failings, and this becomes increasingly forensic with better Hi-Fi.

So do we go on and on or do we draw the line at some point?

I'm Martin.

Yes I was going to mention how forensically we want to experience the music. I can understand the search for perfect reproduction of a voice or instrument.

Im not sure how some recordings stand up to the ultimate forensic test.

I admire people with a quality set up and think its fantastic if people want to spend on the very best and push the boundaries on human achievement.

I let my imagination fill in the gaps We dont need to spend too much now on decent headphones and a source which gets enough of it through the ears.

I dont drive a Lamborghini Aventador either so Im just going to have to live with it

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 16-06-2017 at 17:59.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    The biggest pitfall in hi-fi.

Happy Mondays - 'Bummed' -
    Well it was produced by Martin Hannet. I think she picked it out of my varied collection because she kept saying "what a bummer man" and Americanisms like that

Im not sure its the archetypal hi fi show album but it is damn good.

Later on The Eagles on a travel mix tape started killing our relationship as I obviously wasnt cool enough for her I have a wide taste in music but I just hadnt formulated my cool factor when considering my music collection. The coffee table album stage wasnt long behind me but I was still a bit confused.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast