+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can you enjoy listening to music ...

I'm Tony.

Default Can you enjoy listening to music ...

... if you're a real "hifi" obsessive?

I ask this because I'm just discovering what my (late) father spent on his hifi setup, and how he seemed to always be searching for that something extra that would complete his setup to his satisfaction.

Not sure that he ever found that missing piece, because he was still looking until - almost literally - the day he died. And because he was always listening so critically, always finding something that he thought could be improved, I'm not sure that he ever really relaxed and just enjoyed listening.

Or is that just the difference between listening actively and passively?

In contrast, I'm just happy to put a CD in my average player, switch on my average amp, and listen to the sounds coming out of my average speakers.

Perhaps that means that my ears aren't educated enough to be critical, to appreciate what's missing or sub-optimal. Perhaps I'd enjoy the experience more if I listened more critically, or perhaps I'd just be forever chasing my version of aural perfection and be forever dissatisfied with what I heard?

Dare I even consider swapping some of my (standard in-the-box) interconnects for something more hifi, or would that be a dangerous first step?

I'm paul.

Welcome to the madhouse Tony. Being a cable skeptic I wouldn't worry about swapping interconnects making any life changing difference. You are in the fortunate position of enjoying music from an 'average ' set up, just carry on enjoying.
    Just to add I've spent several thousand pounds to get where I am with my set up and now enjoy it as is and don't stress about it anymore.
    Last edited by paulf-2007; 11-06-2017 at 09:42.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Geoff.

There again, it doesn't hurt to have at least half decent cables. Cheap cables and those supplied with equipment often leave something to be desired. Quality cables do not have to cost the earth. In fact there's a good second hand supply on ebay and they are regularly offered here in the Private Exhibitions sales section.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony01 View Post
    I'm just discovering what my (late) father spent on his hifi setup
    Yes. It can come as a shock when the real cost of a system is added up. But bear in mind, that is likely to have been built up over a good few years, so not a huge one off investment. I guess mine, if bought as new equivalents, might be around £18K. I probably spent less than half that by buying mostly used, but that's over very many years.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I think of it like buying a classic car and doing it up. Each weekend you do a bit of work on it then you go for a drive. Over the years you've improved it quite a bit. It isn't the best car in the world but it drives a lot better than it did when you first bought it. But regardless there has never been an occasion when you didn't enjoy driving it, even if you know it could be better.

The alternative is just buy a new car and drive it, and never tinker.

Both approaches are valid and I don't think the tinkerer enjoys his drive any less for it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Michael.

Old hifi equipment attractive women and cars in that order for me

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael loves music View Post
    Old hifi equipment attractive women and cars in that order for me
    I'll take them in any order they come.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I'm embarrassed to say what I have spent on my system(s), but I have a lot of gear and the expenditure has been made over the forty five year period of my interest in audio. But I derive enormous amount of pleasure from my systems; either one of which is often in use for several hours a day.

One thing I do like to do is to 'tinker' with pick-up arms and cartridges, regarding that pastime as little different to tasting different clarets or whisk(e)ys.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Whisky makes me SPU!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Whisky makes me SPU!
    Boom Boom!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast