+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi-Fi power supply improvements.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Very true.However I don't think it will make a difference sonically TBH.I doubt anyone could hear the difference between a radial and a ring.

I doubt anyone could hear the difference between a radial and a ring.
    One way to find out. Marco, could you possibly bring two runs of your finest 10mm twin and earth?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Don't see why not

Marco.

P.S so when are we 'doing the necessary', then?
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Mmm...... Thanks, Ali. I'll need to remember that. Whenever I refer to my dedicated mains set-up as a "separate spur", what I really mean is a radial circuit!

The only difference is, my 'radial circuit' is a 16mm armoured cable direct from my incoming mains supply straight into a dedicated CU for my system, which all the mains leads for my components are then hard-wired into with individual 63A MCBs - there ain't no 'socket run'

Marco.

P.S Steve, mate, got your PM - been busy, but will reply later!
    Cheers Marco.

Any chance you could post a few snaps of your wiring arrangement? I'm interested to see what it looks like.

S.
    Steve aka 'Twelvebears' (it's a long story)
    System: Technics 1210 Mk5, Jelco 750 arm, AT33EV via MF X-LP2 Phono Stage, Oyaide mat and record clamp. SB Touch via Marantz PM-11S1 amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. speakers. Mark Grant cables and PS Audio Power Plant Premier mains regenerator.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    This one baffles me, I'm afraid, Steve.

Firstly, do you live on a tectonic plate fault line, or even have heavy lorries rumble past, shaking your house? I can't imagine ordinary unswitched sockets, plugs and fuses interrupting the flow much in a 'trembling' wall. If this is indeed possible, then more's the case for hard-wiring, surely, or maybe a 'floating' socket (not attached to the wall).

Secondly, you mention 'dual radial' supply as opposed to 'spur', whereas it's evident that you only have ONE radial circuit (though I may have got the wrong end of the stick here). A SPUR is an offshoot from an established ring main, I believe (although the word is commonly misused).

Thirdly, as I (and most people who have installed a la Roy Riches' philosophy) have 32 amp RCBOs in my C U, I imagine you must have a much lower specified breaker/RCD (20 amp?) to match your lower specified cable.

I must admit, Steve, that I've not come across this method for dedicated mains before (not that I'm an expert in any sense). That your installation shows marked improvement on your previous ring mains connection, however, surely evidences the benefits of ANY approach to isolating one's hifi from the domestic supply.
    Hi Mike,

Point One. No. I don't fear seismic anomolies in my installation, but I am a firm believer in keeping vibration to an absolute minimum, hence my extensive use of Stillpoints technology throughout my system. I don't mind others taking the piss, but it is a simple fact that 'The Lens' wall outlet (designed to isolate the outlet from the wall) sounds superior to a bog-standard 13amp socket (to my ears anyway!). I live in a modern house and the wall through which my dedicated mains travels from CU to hi fi is stud/block/stud construction and acoustic pressure inside the listening room will vibrate the stud wall.

Point Two. As I understand it, a dual radial supply incorporates TWO runs of cable from CU to a single outlet. I suppose if there were more than one outlet, it would be called a ring. I listened to a single run of cable from CU to wall outlet (Spur) and the twin run, which halves the impedance and doubles the current capacity, and preferred the sound of the dual radial supply to my hi fi.

Point Three. As the cable run is doubled up (40amps), hence the inclusion of a 32amp RCD/RCBO at the CU.

Regards

Steve
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi Steve,
    A single run from the CU to your socket is a radial circuit,not a spur.A spur is a socket tapped off an existing ring circuit.

Not having a go,just don't want peeps getting confused.

I'm Steve.

Ali,

Not being an electrician myself, I bow to your superior knowledge and stand corrected.

My own confusion arises from installations that have been described as dedicated spurs, where multiple single runs of cable have originated at seperate MCB'S at the CU and terminated at seperate wall outlets in the listening room or a single run has been hard-wired to a hydra-like arrangement to feed seperate system components..

I was attempting to describe my own installation where a double run of cable originates from a single MCB/RCBO at the CU and terminates in a single wall outlet (a dual radial).
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes,I guess you could call that a dual radial,or a ring feeding just one socket.Strictly speaking I'm not an electrician,more an electrical fitter.I deal with high-voltage substations etc.While I have fair theoretical knowledge of domestic installations,I have next to no practical experience,nor do I have 17th edition,so I'm not a real expert by any means!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

I was attempting to describe my own installation where a double run of cable originates from a single MCB/RCBO at the CU and terminates in a single wall outlet (a dual radial).
    What thickness of cable are you using, 6mm, 10mm, or what?

You can obtain the same effect as your double run of cable in a dual-radial installation by using a single run of very heavy-duty cable direct from the incoming mains supply to a dedicated CU, such as the 16mm armoured cable used in my set-up. It just depends how you want to do it

The impedance on my mains supply has been measured at .32 ohms, so it doesn't get much lower!

The biggest difference in lowering the impedance on your mains supply I've found is by installing a separate earth for your hi-fi system via a series of (long and thick) copper earth rods plunged as deep as possible into the soil in your garden (using 6mm earth cable to connect them all together and then feed the cable back to a dedicated CU) - and making sure that the soil around them is kept wet.

This has a far greater effect, in terms of lowering impedance, than whatever mains wiring circuit you employ - but the combination of both is ideally what you're looking for!

I also hard-wire my component mains leads directly into separate 63A MCBs inside my dedicated Memera CU (not 32A RCBOs), which also makes a difference, as the extra protection circuitry inside RCBOs raises impedance more.

You just have to decide what you think will work best and go for it!

ABOVE ALL THOUGH, MAKE SURE THAT ALL WORK IS CARRIED OUT BY A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN - AND ALSO THAT YOU ARE HAPPY WITH THE COMPROMISES TO SAFETY THIS TYPE OF INSTALLATION INVOLVES!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Marco,

Here is a link to the RS cable I have in my installation (the same as used by MusicWorks for their ReCoil mains power cord). The cable I used has also been subject to DCT.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/s...47&cm_vc=av_uk

I have 25mm live and neutral meter tails, 100A incoming fuse and 100A DP Isolator switch on the MEM CU.

My Hi Fi MCB is rated at 32A but I understand that the RCBO field fit kit is rated at 63A.

I have not had a seperate earth spike installed as I want to research this option further and I have to say that the dedicated installation as it presently exists, is a serious improvement over my former house ring mains connection to the hi fi.

I agree that you just have to decide what works best and go for it.

There are those that swear by a dedicated spur and others (like me) who prefer the sound of a ring.
    Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast