+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hi-Fi power supply improvements.

I'm Darren.

Default From the Dead.

Nearly 12 months ago I installed a dedicated HiFi Ring Main with 4mm T&E as this was the largest diametre wire I could back feed into the consumer unit. The reason I installed a ring main was three fold, i,I have a system in the Lounge and one in the Kitchen, ii, to compensate for only using 4mm T&E, iii, as I was already running one cable it was the same amount of work to run another, it's easier to pull a cable out than it is to put one in!

Yesterday I eventually got round to disconnecting the link, creating two radial circuits, albeit both fed from the same MCB, but I don't listen to both at the same time. This has yielded a significant improvement to both systems. I have recently picked up a mains filter which offered an improvement when plugged into the ring but the results differ now I have two radial circuits. The Oppo is now better not plugged into the filter (more vibrant, tigher bass, more detail), but the TV is still improved by being plugged into the filter.
    Marco - Before you give me both barrels, this is just in the testing stage, I promise the dirty TV won't remain connected .

Everything else has remained constant, same sockets, same T&E, same routing, but the improvement for me of going from a ring to a radial has been significant.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol - I've only just seen this! You're basically playing around with impedances, mate. Just trust what your ears tell you sounds best, and go with it.

Anyway, where are you with things now, some 20 days on since you posted the above?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Darren.

20 days later things are pretty much the same, I've picked up another mains filter, a Belkin Isolator PureAV. I've spent the last few weeks running power through all the sockets, today I'm hoping to find some time to find the best sockets for each piece of kit that will be plugged in, so far it seems like a good improvement over the previous filter. I only have SKY and the TV plugged into it, I'll try the Oppo in there again just to be sure now everything should be burnt in, but the last time I tried it in the filter the picture was better but the sound was worse so I left it plugged straight into the wall.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm David.

Default The Lens

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopdog View Post
    My meter and incoming supply is situated in a cupboard under the stairs and is only a short journey through the wall into my now, dedicated, music room.

My specification was only for a single socket supply in the listening room, situated by the hi fi equipment stand. I favoured a dual radial supply from a dedicated consumer unit, rather than a spur and this is what I ended up with.

The components used were a MEM AP4 consumer unit fitted with a single MEM MBH132 B32A MCB with MR30 field fit RCBO kit. There is of course room for three additional MCB/RCBO's if I wished to expand the number of dedicated cale feeds in the future. Anyone considering more spurs/dual radials, should specify a six way or larger consumer unit.

Instead of heavy guage T&E cable I went with an RS Components twin shielded cable with 20amp rating (identical to that used by MusicWorks for their ReCoil mains power cord. Two identical 1.8M runs originate at the MEM consumer unit and terminate at a rather expensive outlet called 'The Lens' designed by Paul Chand and incorporating high precision ceramic isolation bearings, a floating alluminium alloy front plate and solid PTFE middle and rear section. The idea being to attempt to isolate the socket outlet from vibrations in the wall. The RS cable shield is connected to earth at the CU end only, so acts as a drain rather than a shielded cable.

If anyone is interested I will post some pictures of the installation.

The result has been very satisfying with much greater detail retrieval and noise reduction compared to the house ring main.

I use a Vertex Elbrus mains balanced PSU to supply my hi fi with power from the single wall outlet.

Steve
    I am about to put in a dedicated mains spur to my hi-fi. Just interested to know if you feel 'The Lens' is worth adding? Thanks.
    Dave.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

"Vibrations in the wall"? - any effect that would have on the mains supply sounds a bit far fetched to me. Also, if the shield of the twin core mains cable is connected to earth only at the CU, how is the earth pin of the socket connected?

I use a dedicated ring for my system with its own RCB unit, separate from the rest of the household wiring.
    Barry

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    "Vibrations in the wall"? - any effect that would have on the mains supply sounds a bit far fetched to me. Also, if the shield of the twin core mains cable is connected to earth only at the CU, how is the earth pin of the socket connected?

I use a dedicated ring for my system with its own RCB unit, separate from the rest of the household wiring.
    Not just a bit, very far fetched. Whilst one can yield some improvements from mains filters etc, studying and improving
    what then is the end result, namely circuitry labeled as DC but really in the majority of cases still containing AC ripple content
    is where the real action is. A whole field of new discovery awaits.

Cheers / Chris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456