+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Visiting London next week

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You have to play them backwards but they do work.

The 'terrorists' are nothing to worry about. The odds of being involved in something like that are infinitesimal.
    Hey, if it's a good pressing I'd be more than happy to play them backwards while doing head stands

Thanks for the encouraging words
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    safer up here in Scotland Mate... last terrorists got beaten up
    You guys not big on PC?
    Don't you just hate it when you cannot detect where the post ends and a signature line begins?

Alex.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Hey Alex

Good suggestions so far. Soho has a few including the aforementioned Reckless and Sister
    Ray. There is also Sounds of the Univerise and Phonica in Soho. Adjacent to Soho there is a HMV on Oxford Street if that takes your fancy!

In east London around Shoreditch there is another good branch of Sister Ray. There is a large Rough Trade in Brick Lane, great for new vinyl. There is also one of three branches of Flashback Records at the top of Brick Lane, the others being in Essex Road, Islington and Crouch End. Flashback stores are good. A personal favourite for new and used.

Up the road a short distance from Flashback in Crouch End is Audio Gold. They have a pretty big selection of used vinyl and an even larger selection of vintage Hi-Fi, albeit at eye watering prices. Worth a visit just to take a look at the wall to wall Hi-Fi!

There are numerous other small stores around, depends how much time you have. Give me a shout when you are over, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Anyway don't be put off by what's been happening here recently, London is still one of the best cities in world to visit. Have fun.

http://flashback.co.uk/

https://www.roughtrade.com/

https://audiogold.co.uk/

http://www.phonicarecords.com/

https://soundsoftheuniverse.com/

https://reckless.co.uk/
    Thank you for all the info -- the embarrassment of riches!

Yes, I'm super excited to visit London, but man there's just so much going on there at the same time! How do you guys make up your mind what to do next?

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by magiccarpetride View Post
    Hey, if it's a good pressing I'd be more than happy to play them backwards while doing head stands

Thanks for the encouraging words
    No worries. London is still the safest city in Europe. And a fascinating place especially if you have any interest in history. Take you a year to see everything worth seeing.

There is a really good used vinyl shop in a back street just off Oxford Street. Can't recall what it is called, some old boy runs it, been there since the 1960s. Someone probably linked to it already. Last time I went record shopping in London I was practically falling over record shops just wandering around randomly. So you won't have any problems finding some.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Alex.

No worries. London is still the safest city in Europe. And a fascinating place especially if you have any interest in history. Take you a year to see everything worth seeing.

There is a really good used vinyl shop in a back street just off Oxford Street. Can't recall what it is called, some old boy runs it, been there since the 1960s. Someone probably linked to it already. Last time I went record shopping in London I was practically falling over record shops just wandering around randomly. So you won't have any problems finding some.
    Thanks Martin, now I'm even more excited.

Hey, a quick question since we're on the subject -- what kind of an electrical adapter do I need to bring to the UK? I have the one that lets me plug my laptop when traveling on the continent, but not sure if England is using different outlets from the rest of Europe (you guys are always different from anyone else

Alex.

I'm Martin.

Yes you will need a UK adaptor, your continental one won't work.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Oh and if you plug a Canadian electric razor, or similar into our mains it will die instantly. Found that out the hard way.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Loz.

There is a really good used vinyl shop in a back street just off Oxford Street. Can't recall what it is called, some old boy runs it, been there since the 1960s.

That might be JB's you're thinking of there Martin. Was a great little shop, sadly gone now. Spent a few quid in there over there years. Spent a few quid in Bradley's Spanish Bar next door too, quite a few late ones had in the 80's/90's there. The good old bad old days eh!

I'm Anthony.

That old boy behind oxford street closed a couple years back , that was a vinyl haven. Used to be in the alley behind Virgin megastore.

London is a remarkable city , I spend most of my time not working in the west end and have done so for the past 35 years. I never tire of it even though it is changing and not for the better......still great.
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

I'm Martin.

That's a shame. Great shop. Bought a load of Issac Hayes albums there. I guess about three years ago.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast