+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting Linear Power Supply?

I'm Tony.

Default Adjusting Linear Power Supply?

Well I guess I should have known better but I took a punt on the following LPS from Chinese ebayer;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1113288910...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I specified 5v and 15v to use with my SBT and Beresford DAC and have today received a LPS that outputs 12v and 10v.

Would this be adjustable in anyway or have I been sold a Pup
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Rob.

A schematic of the circuit would be helpful, but it may be that there is one 7810 and a 7812 regulator in the supply. There are two regs shown in the pics (one for each output I presume) These could be changed for regs giving the power output you require so long as the transformer secondaries, after rectification would support that voltage. I suspect that as the ebay page shows multiple voltages available that the transformers are probably the same for each application and the supply is regulated by the voltage regs. If they sent the wrong one, tell them and they should send you the correct voltage unit.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Grant.

there are 2 grey little boxes with gold screws. the screws are the adjusters.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inthescottishmafia.

If you look at the picture, next to the small green capacitors, there is a grey/green box with a small screw on the bottom corner. These are variable resistors which are adjusted to give the required output voltage. You need a multimeter and a small screwdriver. Measure the DC output whilst turning the screw on each until you have the desired output voltage.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Also, I would check with Stan that 1A is ample to run the dac.

EDIT- just checked, should be fine.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    there are 2 grey little boxes with gold screws. the screws are the adjusters.
    Should've gone to Specsavers.......
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Tony.

Thanks Guys,

I managed to adjust the 12v side up to 14.9v which is the closest I could get without shooting up to 15.2v.

The other side would not reduce below 10.7 but would go higher.

Here's a pic of the supply.

I'm not tech but I suspect that the right side is not the right transformer?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    VPI Scout 1.1, Hana ML, Vanderveen MC10 SUT, WAD Phono3, Rpi3B+/Digione Signature, Xiang Sheng DAC-01, WAD KiT6550 and Reiver Edingdale SR

I'm Jez.

It won't work as there will be different mains transformers for the widely differing output voltages. You'll need to send it back.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They may send you the right trannie if you ask, quicker than sending yours back then waiting for the other to come.

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Tony.

Well its working fine on the 15v side.

Might be a blessing on the 5v side.

Probably would have fried my SBT!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast