+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: general election

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Another election?
    Unlikely before the next one is due, in 5 years time.
    If May goes it will be business as usual, with whoever gets voted in as Conservative party leader.
    I don't think that the Tories current deal with the DUP is workable in the long term [time will tell], and if you research the views of political analysts, you'll find that many think another election is imminent, once Brexit is out the way.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Brighton was won by Green Party again.

I suspect there are very few L & G Tory voters although never seen any stats.
    "Suspect" based on what though, guesswork? Do you have anything more tangible to back up your opinion? I think you'd more likely find that, as L&Gs make up a significant proportion of the UK population, so they also make up a significant proportion of the electorate.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

I'm hoping for a second election very soon under the circumstances. Mayhem is a dead duck PM and must go. Corbyn is on a roll and should easily win next time and hopefully be the best PM since Clem Atlee. He ticks all the boxes for me and with the superb manifesto placed before the people in this last election should win by a landslide!

It seems the DUP are even bigger tossers than the tories and are climate change deniers, anti abortion, creationists (FFS!) and homophobes whose elevation to greater power will upset the peace process in NI... typical of tory scum to get into bed with such low life!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I'm hoping for a second election very soon under the circumstances. Mayhem is a dead duck PM and must go. Corbyn is on a roll and should easily win next time and hopefully be the best PM since Clem Atlee. He ticks all the boxes for me and with the superb manifesto placed before the people in this last election should win by a landslide!

It seems the DUP are even bigger tossers than the tories and are climate change deniers, anti abortion, creationists (FFS!) and homophobes whose elevation to greater power will upset the peace process in NI... typical of tory scum to get into bed with such low life!
    Spot on, and it is the sum total of *that*, which out with of L&Gs, will turn off many other voters, Tory and otherwise. Few, before this election took place, would've wanted the DUP as part of the equation in our government, and having a significant influence over policy decisions.

Therefore, there is no doubt in my mind that if we get another election in 6 months time or so (as seems likely), particularly if the forthcoming Brexit negotiations don't go well, the Tories will lose (no matter WHO is at the helm) - and LOSE ROYALLY....

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Spot on, and it is the sum total of *that*, which out with of L&Gs, will turn off many other Tory voters. There's is no doubt in my mind that if we get another election in 6 months time or so, particularly if the forthcoming Brexit negotiations don't go well, the Tories will lose (no matter WHO is at the helm) - and LOSE ROYALLY....

Marco.
    I'm hoping more for meyhem having to go within a week or so! And if Corbyn can take Kensington it should be a Labour landslide victory in the re-run!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    "Suspect" based on what though, guesswork? Do you have anything more tangible to back up your opinion? I think you'd more likely find that, as L&Gs make up a significant proportion of the UK population, so they also make up a significant proportion of the electorate.

Marco.
    No just a guess, although looking more closely suggests I am wrong. According to this https://www.theguardian.com/politics...abour-gay-vote an estimated equal number (26%) voted Labour as Tory in 2015 and the gay vote in USA is estimated at 5% of the electorate (could not find a UK figure) - so if all gay voters who previously voted tory were to shun them it would cost them (based on the same 48 million turnout) 480,000 votes. Although that assumes all gay voters actually vote. Even if only 50% voted that is still a significant loss of votes.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Yup, that's what I had suspected

So you have to consider the possible impact of that, if we get a second election. Like you say though, it would depend on how many of them voted, but my guess would be that many would, and perhaps some of the ones who normally don't, would do, to try and oust the (anti-gay) DUP.

From what I know of gay people, they tend to be highly emotive and principled characters, so would take a rather dim view of wanting anyone in government who's fundamentally against them.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Martin.

That is worst case though. If you knock of another 50% for those for whom it is not enough of a concern to stop them voting Tory and spread the remainder around all the constituencies it becomes less of a factor. And I don't ever recall it being raised as an issue with the John Major government. The DUP have not changed one bit since then. Ian Paisley was still running about in those days!

Do people on mainland UK care about Ulster politics anyway? It's like a separate political box that we never want to open because it all looks a bit strange and weird in there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Well, I guess we'll all find out in the fullness of time, and I suspect sooner rather than later

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is worst case though. If you knock of another 50% for those for whom it is not enough of a concern to stop them voting Tory and spread the remainder around all the constituencies it becomes less of a factor. And I don't ever recall it being raised as an issue with the John Major government. The DUP have not changed one bit since then. Ian Paisley was still running about in those days!
    That might be because under John Major the Conservatives had an overall majority over all other parties and didn't need the support of the DUP to stay in power. Also, back then, the relatively sane Ulster Unionist party had more MPs than the DUP.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast