+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 348

Thread: general election

  1. #301
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 72,360
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    I'm still trying to take in what's happened in this election, but we can say that the Conservative party has gone in seven weeks from being in the most formidable position since 1983 to a minority government with a potentially toxic alliance, extraordinary really.

    What happens next, I've got to say I know some find politics boring but this is fascinating, and I am worried.
    An undeniably accurate précis, which is why only the Tory diehards and deluded could view the results of this election as representing in any way a Conservative 'victory'...

    As for what happens next, well, when Arlene Foster meets with May, to discuss her proposals, and trust me she'll want to milk it for all she can get, that's when we'll see whether a suitable deal can be done.

    I suspect that one will be forthcoming, as right now the Tories need the DUP, but that any deal struck (and subsequent relationship) won't be sustainable in the long term, simply because many of the DUPs more radical policies aren't compatible both with the majority of Tories, and more importantly, the majority of their voters and the electorate.

    The fact is, no-one voted for a Tory/DUP alliance. It's an untenable situation in the long, or even I suspect, medium term, which is why a second election, post-Brexit, is imminent.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  2. #302
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,448
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    I have to say that my perception of this thread has taken a dive for the worst. There has been a veiled anti Irish aspect and less veiled anti Christian aspect and frankly I think it pretty hypocritical to lambast the DUP and then throw unpleasant bigoted views out at the same time just from a different angle.

    The people of Northern Ireland are part of the UK, they have a right to have a say in the governance of the UK. After all London isn't a London centric dictatorship.... or is it ? We have a UK democracy with some powers devolved, but London still calls the shots. The people of Wales, Scotland and Cornwall have a right so why not the folks of Ulster who identify as being British not Irish. I think most of the folks in the old kingdoms get annoyed when southern English complain about those countries having a say in English/London politics. Its the UK folks, keep that in mind. The capital is London and the UK is mostly ruled from London. No one from the other places should be excluded from a say in my view. To do so is arrogant and elitist.

    The DUP would say they are respecters of the law and are not involved with terrorists, unlike Sinn Fein which is the political wing of the IRA, they are for all intents and purposes the IRA. Now some members of the DUP hold very conservative Christian views, which I personally as a Christian don't hold to or find very difficult. I also don't particularly want any political party to ram their views down others throats. Faith and what one believes or doesn't believe is a matter of conscience, and while it will inform individuals world views, how they vote, live etc I don't feel it should be forced on folks who don't share those views. Equally atheist views should not be rammed down folks throats either. Its a hard balancing act but governance should be for all.

    Have the DUP in the past as a party and individuals within it crossed the line re involvement with Loyalist groups, yes they have, but the labour leader has been involved with and supported the IRA, PLO and other terrorists and there is also more than a whiff of anti Semitism to be found in Labour party politicians and others. Mainland parties are not clean either, having been in bed with world Governments and individuals who are not very savoury either. Has anyone in politics got totally clean hands ? Probably not.

    At the minute currently I am disenfranchised politically as I can't vote DUP, will not vote Sinn Fein and the other parties are all but non existed. I do resent greatly that none of the mainland parties organise here, so NI politics are kept insular and at an arms length from the mainland politics. That is hardly fair.

    Northern Ireland is a complicated topic but I would appreciate less of what I am perceiving as an anti Irish tone in this thread, whether intended or not that is how I am seeing it.

    On a personal note I think those who don't believe in creation and God have greater faith than I do. Do I make nasty, hateful comments about their beliefs ? No I don't, so I would appreciate it if others kept faith out of this, and ridiculing faith too.

    The cancer comment was by the way despicable.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  3. #303
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

    Posts: 3,966
    I'm Chris.

    Default

    Neil, I certainly don't want to come across as anti irish! I am opposed to the Conservative party and just think they would put their own party 1st above the national interest, they are taking a risk, another gamble.
    Chris

    We've gone on holiday by mistake !

  4. #304
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,448
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Neil, I certainly don't want to come across as anti irish! I am opposed to the Conservative party and just think they would put their own party 1st above the national interest, they are taking a risk, another gamble.
    Chris in some areas they will, as are other parties, but they are also capable of national UK interest as well, after all they are a Union party, and consider themselves to be British, not Irish.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  5. #305
    Join Date: Sep 2014

    Location: Northern Ireland

    Posts: 660
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    I have to say that my perception of this thread has taken a dive for the worst. There has been a veiled anti Irish aspect and less veiled anti Christian aspect and frankly I think it pretty hypocritical to lambast the DUP and then throw unpleasant bigoted views out at the same time just from a different angle.

    The people of Northern Ireland are part of the UK, they have a right to have a say in the governance of the UK. After all London isn't a London centric dictatorship.... or is it ? We have a UK democracy with some powers devolved, but London still calls the shots. The people of Wales, Scotland and Cornwall have a right so why not the folks of Ulster who identify as being British not Irish. I think most of the folks in the old kingdoms get annoyed when southern English complain about those countries having a say in English/London politics. Its the UK folks, keep that in mind. The capital is London and the UK is mostly ruled from London. No one from the other places should be excluded from a say in my view. To do so is arrogant and elitist.

    The DUP would say they are respecters of the law and are not involved with terrorists, unlike Sinn Fein which is the political wing of the IRA, they are for all intents and purposes the IRA. Now some members of the DUP hold very conservative Christian views, which I personally as a Christian don't hold to or find very difficult. I also don't particularly want any political party to ram their views down others throats. Faith and what one believes or doesn't believe is a matter of conscience, and while it will inform individuals world views, how they vote, live etc I don't feel it should be forced on folks who don't share those views. Equally atheist views should not be rammed down folks throats either. Its a hard balancing act but governance should be for all.

    Have the DUP in the past as a party and individuals within it crossed the line re involvement with Loyalist groups, yes they have, but the labour leader has been involved with and supported the IRA, PLO and other terrorists and there is also more than a whiff of anti Semitism to be found in Labour party politicians and others. Mainland parties are not clean either, having been in bed with world Governments and individuals who are not very savoury either. Has anyone in politics got totally clean hands ? Probably not.

    At the minute currently I am disenfranchised politically as I can't vote DUP, will not vote Sinn Fein and the other parties are all but non existed. I do resent greatly that none of the mainland parties organise here, so NI politics are kept insular and at an arms length from the mainland politics. That is hardly fair.

    Northern Ireland is a complicated topic but I would appreciate less of what I am perceiving as an anti Irish tone in this thread, whether intended or not that is how I am seeing it.

    On a personal note I think those who don't believe in creation and God have greater faith than I do. Do I make nasty, hateful comments about their beliefs ? No I don't, so I would appreciate it if others kept faith out of this, and ridiculing faith too.

    The cancer comment was by the way despicable.
    Thank you Neil for posting.

    I have to say my blood was starting to boil but didn't wan't to reply in anger. You have said it succinctly and camly. Well done you!

    And you're right, governance should be for all no matter what our beliefs or lifestyles. I learned a bit from that. Thanks.

  6. #306
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,448
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    Thank you Neil for posting.

    I have to say my blood was starting to boil but didn't wan't to reply in anger. You have said it succinctly and camly. Well done you!

    And you're right, governance should be for all no matter what our beliefs or lifestyles. I learned a bit from that. Thanks.
    Thank you.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

  7. #307
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,733

    Default

    Maybe we should count our blessings:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40246754

    'A man accused of posting blasphemous content to Facebook has been sentenced to death by a court in Pakistan.

    Taimoor Raza was convicted after allegedly posting remarks about the Prophet Muhammad, his wives and companions within the site's comments'.

  8. #308
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 36,614
    I'm Grant.

    Default general election

    Probably a bit extreme
    Regards,
    Grant ....

    I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP - AVANTREE OASIS CLASS 1 BLUETOOTH - AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER23, SPOTIFY PREMIUM - ECHO DOT - SMSL M6 MINIDAC - FULL RANGE TWIN TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - MAINS REGENERATED AND FILTERED.

  9. #309
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 17,855
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    All he said was that bit of halibut was good enough for Mohammed...
    Martin



    Current Lash Up:

    Sony X505ES CD Player * NVA P90SA passive pre / Krell KSA50S Power amp * JM Lab Electra 926 loudspeakers *



    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S Thompson

  10. #310
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 16,448
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Probably a bit extreme
    Even accurately commenting on the foundations and history of that topic could see one put to death.

    Anyway off topic.
    Regards Neil

    System 1: AMG Giro turntable, AMG 9W2 tonearm, Air Tight PC3 cartridge, Passlabs Xono phonostage, AMG Reference armcable. Accuphase DP57 CD player, Marantz SA7 SACD player, Sony HAP Z1es Digital File Player + Audioquest Jitter Bug, Veracity Mystra DAC + Dell Laptop + iFi i power + JKenny JKSPIDIF, Wireworld Starlight USB + Audioquest Jitter Bug, for computer audio, Audio Valve RKV2 headphone amp, headphones Grado GS 1000, Balanced Audio Technology VK300se integrated amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers. Cabling: Signal - Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, Atlas Mavros, Speaker - QED Genesis Silver Spiral. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, Analysis Plus, TCI. Mark Grant distribution blocks, Equipment tables Target Audio B series.

    System 2: Loricraft Garrard 401 turntable + SME 5 tonearm + VDH MC10 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Modified Technics 1200 turntable + Triplannar 7 tonearm + VDH Frog Gold cartridge + Paul Hynes SR7 PSU, SME Model 20 turntable + Graham Phantom tonearm + Ortofon MC5200 cartridge + Graham IC70 tonearm cable, Balanced Audio Technology VK10se phonostage, Moon Andromeda CD player, Esoteric P5 SACD transport and P 5 DAC, Toshiba 9500 DVD Audio player, AMR DP777 DAC + HP laptop + iFi i power + Wireworld Starlight USB - for computer audio, Kenwood 8300 tuner, Revox B760 tuner, Magnum Dynalab signal sleuth, Leak Troughline tuner + EAR Stereo decoder, Revox B77 mk 2 & Revox A77 mk3 reel to reel recorders, Balanced Audio Technology VK52se pre-amplifier, Music Reference RM200 mk1 power-amplifier, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.5 speakers. Cabling: Signal/Speaker - Atlas Mavros. Mains Cabling: Audience AU24, TCI. Mains distribution blocks Mark Grant and Russ Andrews, Equipment tables Clear Light Audio.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •