+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 348

Thread: general election

  1. #71
    Join Date: Oct 2014

    Location: SE London

    Posts: 305
    I'm Richie.

    Default

    Isn't that what Corbyn is proposing?

    [edit - tried to quote John. Oops]

  2. #72
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 73,885
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I disagree with you in the strongest possible terms Marco and detect rather a lot of hypocrisy there. I can see right whingers and racists probably hating my comments, just as I do those from card carrying Tories.. but I would guess you are in a very small minority as a devout religious person... and that a majority are probably anti religion. You allow Tories to be called worse than shit (quite rightly!), make no comment about anti Muslim comments so long as they don't go over a certain boundary... but when ALL religion is criticised, by inference including your own, the barriers of censorship come slamming down and the doors to free speech are firmly slammed.
    Yeah yeah you personally own the web site and you'll do whatever the feck you like and if we don't like it we know where we can shove it etc etc.... It needed saying though IMHO
    See my post #69. I was referring specifically to this post from Geoff, and the "plague on all their houses" remark. Nothing else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Frankly I'm in the Christopher Hitchens school of thought when it comes to religion: a plague on all their houses!
    I don't think I'm being at all unreasonable in taking offence to someone (albeit indirectly) wishing such a thing on me, simply because I'm religious!

    Anyway, as I said, let's leave it there. Indeed, I insist on it.

    Marco.
    http://www.thestainedglasscompany.com

    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do" -- Milan Kundera.

  3. #73
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,716
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    You should listen to "With god on our side" by Bob Dylan.

    The KKK claim to be devout Christians. You probably wouldn't tar all Christians with the same brush though... What about the IRA? Catholics to a man. So are all Catholics a problem?
    Islam is the worlds biggest religion. If they were all out to get us we'd know about it! It is a few extremist psychopaths who commit these atrocities and very wrong to hate all Muslims! Many of the medical staff fighting to save the lives of terrorist victims are Muslim!
    Thats very naive Jez, the KKK weren't killing in the name of religion. They are white supremacists. You dont have to be Christian to join the KKK. you have to be racist.

    The IRA also didnt act through religious beliefs. They wanted British rule to end in Ireland and wanted to unite Ireland. They were paramilitary. Not terrorists.

    Also, claiming that KKK are Christians and IRA are Catholics, doesn't make you anti -christian or anti-catholic or a "phobe" shall we say.

    My point being, if you refer to a terrorist as a muslim which is correct, they are followers of Islam, read the Quran, pray at a mosque, pilgrimage to Mecca etc

    you get called an Islamophobe.

    My Ire is that the Leftys label every one as a dissenter if you dont see the world as they do. The Left, are the new right wing.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  4. #74
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 4,643
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    See post #69. I was referring specifically to this post from Geoff, and the "plague on all their houses" remark. Nothing else.



    I don't think I'm being at all unreasonable in taking offence to someone (albeit indirectly) wishing such a thing on me, simply because I'm religious!

    Anyway, as I said, let's leave it there. Indeed, I insist on it.

    Marco.
    Fairy snuff

  5. #75
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Gloucestershire

    Posts: 150
    I'm John.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Its not anti religion to declare that ISIS are practising muslims matey.
    Agreed, the Islamic in Islamic State means what it says. They do not represent all Muslims or even a majority of Muslims, but they are Muslims, only with a particularly reactionary take on Islam.
    Last edited by Landloper; 06-06-2017 at 19:57. Reason: punctuation 21.00
    Powerbook G4 > Beresford Caiman II TC7534/SWF > Bersford Capella > Grado SR80 or Sennheiser HD650

  6. #76
    Join Date: Oct 2012

    Location: NE England

    Posts: 4,643
    I'm Jez.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Thats very naive Jez, the KKK weren't killing in the name of religion. They are white supremacists. You dont have to be Christian to join the KKK. you have to be racist.

    The IRA also didnt act through religious beliefs. They wanted British rule to end in Ireland and wanted to unite Ireland. They were paramilitary. Not terrorists.

    Also, claiming that KKK are Christians and IRA are Catholics, doesn't make you anti -christian or anti-catholic or a "phobe" shall we say.

    My point being, if you refer to a terrorist as a muslim which is correct, they are followers of Islam, read the Quran, pray at a mosque, pilgrimage to Mecca etc

    you get called an Islamophobe.

    My Ire is that the Leftys label every one as a dissenter if you dont see the world as they do. The Left, are the new right wing.

    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Utter tosh and you know it. All the above claim to have "god on their side" and use religion as a justification for their actions. Try telling the victims of IRA atrocities that the IRA are not terrorists. Were the French Resistance terrorists or freedom fighters? I guess the Nazi's may give a different answer to the French population.... The KKK quote from the bible and go to church every Sunday.. not to mention carrying burning crosses! Throughout history evil men have tried to twist religion into giving them an excuse for their atrocities! The deaths of millions in the first crusades came about because the then pope thought he was losing his popularity and the churches coffers were running low.. so he made up a lie that the holy lands were being over run by Muslims and they were killing and raping Christians in the area! Eventually the Muslims did do just this... in retaliation for Christian atrocities committed by crusaders!

    Oh and although not all brexiters are racist.... all racists are brexiters! A bit like not all Muslims are terrorists but all ISIS jihadis are Muslim eh?

  7. #77
    Join Date: Nov 2015

    Location: Wolverhampton

    Posts: 3,716
    I'm Oliver.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Utter tosh and you know it. All the above claim to have "god on their side" and use religion as a justification for their actions. Try telling the victims of IRA atrocities that the IRA are not terrorists. Were the French Resistance terrorists or freedom fighters? I guess the Nazi's may give a different answer to the French population.... The KKK quote from the bible and go to church every Sunday.. not to mention carrying burning crosses! Throughout history evil men have tried to twist religion into giving them an excuse for their atrocities! The deaths of millions in the first crusades came about because the then pope thought he was losing his popularity and the churches coffers were running low.. so he made up a lie that the holy lands were being over run by Muslims and they were killing and raping Christians in the area! Eventually the Muslims did do just this... in retaliation for Christian atrocities committed by crusaders!

    Oh and although not all brexiters are racist.... all racists are brexiters! A bit like not all Muslims are terrorists but all ISIS jihadis are Muslim eh?
    That kind of sweeping statement only goes to show that you are just trying to steam roller the debate, Jez. Im afraid you are wrong.

    ISIS are a terror group trying to bring in their religious beliefs by unsolicited violence.

    The Nazis were Fascists who blamed the Jews for the lack of work when the soldiers returned from WW1

    The IRA were loyalists trying to remove British rule in Ireland

    The KKK are racists who believed non whites should be irradicated. Also Fascists by definition.

    ISIS are RELIGIOUS Fanatics.

    Im afraid your statement is "UTTER TOSH"

    You cant argue with facts. You are suggesting because KKK are mostly Christians (not all) that they are the same as ISIS, which is absolutely ignorant and uninformed. Its also an affront to not understand the reasons why people have been casualties to the various groups atrocities.

    Your little quip on Brexit is clever though. Albeit short sighted.

    Also, it kind of give the game away when they refer to themselves as a "Radical islamic group"

    Anyway. Im off to Greece in a few hours so I'll be signing off from this debate.


    Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 MK2 > Phonomac AT-1010 tonearm > ZYX R50 Bloom cartridge > Jolida JD9 MKII > Firebottle Monoblocks > Creek OBH-11SE Headphone Amp > IXOS Speaker Cables > Pioneer CS-77A Speakers

  8. #78
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Gloucestershire

    Posts: 150
    I'm John.

    Default

    QUOTE=martian sunrise;871931]Isn't that what Corbyn is proposing?

    [edit - tried to quote John. Oops][/QUOTE]

    The difficulty I have with the Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition is that he asks us to believe that it is possible to negotiate peace with those who want war, such as Islamic State, Richie. I can't see how this can be compassed. Jihadism is not monolithic and I wouldn't rule out parley altogether, but clearly some elements of it are driven by an apocalyptic vision which has absolutely no interest in an accommodation.
    Powerbook G4 > Beresford Caiman II TC7534/SWF > Bersford Capella > Grado SR80 or Sennheiser HD650

  9. #79
    Join Date: May 2016

    Location: Gloucestershire

    Posts: 150
    I'm John.

    Default

    'Not all Brexiters are racist but all racists are Brexiters'.

    No, Dianne Abbot definitely campaigned, along with the Tory government and the majority of the elite, for Remain.
    Powerbook G4 > Beresford Caiman II TC7534/SWF > Bersford Capella > Grado SR80 or Sennheiser HD650

  10. #80
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 16,443
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landloper View Post
    'Not all Brexiters are racist but all racists are Brexiters'.

    No, Dianne Abbot definitely campaigned, along with the Tory government and the majority of the elite, for Remain.
    Uh?
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •