Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
I'm still trying to take in what's happened in this election, but we can say that the Conservative party has gone in seven weeks from being in the most formidable position since 1983 to a minority government with a potentially toxic alliance, extraordinary really.

What happens next, I've got to say I know some find politics boring but this is fascinating, and I am worried.
An undeniably accurate précis, which is why only the Tory diehards and deluded could view the results of this election as representing in any way a Conservative 'victory'...

As for what happens next, well, when Arlene Foster meets with May, to discuss her proposals, and trust me she'll want to milk it for all she can get, that's when we'll see whether a suitable deal can be done.

I suspect that one will be forthcoming, as right now the Tories need the DUP, but that any deal struck (and subsequent relationship) won't be sustainable in the long term, simply because many of the DUPs more radical policies aren't compatible both with the majority of Tories, and more importantly, the majority of their voters and the electorate.

The fact is, no-one voted for a Tory/DUP alliance. It's an untenable situation in the long, or even I suspect, medium term, which is why a second election, post-Brexit, is imminent.

Marco.