+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: general election

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    May's equivalent to Corbyn's promises was the 'reduce immigration to the tens of thousands' pledge/promise/vague hope which she had failed deliver to in her years as Home Secretary, and which was only ever intended as bait for the more simple-minded UKIP demographic.
    Exactly. Where was the jam? Must say I didn't watch or read about any of the campaign since I find it tedious in the extreme but looking at the post mortem it seems there was barely some rancid margarine on offer from the Tory side, when they should have been proffering a selection of high quality preserves. Corby was always going to promise the earth, what's he got to lose?

The interesting thing is that even with May being rubbish and offering nothing and Corbyn promising to throw money at every possible demographic Labour was still way short of a majority. Even if the whole of Scotland had gone Labour they still wouldn't have made it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Exactly. Where was the jam? Must say I didn't watch or read about any of the campaign since I find it tedious in the extreme but looking at the post mortem it seems there was barely some rancid margarine on offer from the Tory side, when they should have been proffering a selection of high quality preserves. Corby was always going to promise the earth, what's he got to lose?

The interesting thing is that even with May being rubbish and offering nothing and Corbyn promising to throw money at every possible demographic Labour was still way short of a majority. Even if the whole of Scotland had gone Labour they still wouldn't have made it.
    Yes but the tories fought a brilliant campaign in 2015 against perhaps the worst labour have ever offered and still only got a small majority.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Yes but the tories fought a brilliant campaign in 2015 against perhaps the worst labour have ever offered and still only got a small majority.
    Fair point but Miliband was far from the worst Labour have offered. It was Brown before that against the newly de-toxified Tory brand and they only got a hung parliament. Against Brown! He was the worst thing I have ever seen in British politics. No redeeming feature at all. Then there was Kinnock. Then Foot. None of them were exactly an easy job for the PR men. With Blair, on the other hand, they had something to work with. Guess what? he wins comfortably three times running.

Hard for any party to get someone normal or who can at least appear normal as no-one normal would want the job to begin with.

Mood of the electorate has a lot to do with it and you can't leave that to chance if you want a decent majority. You have to manipulate the mood of the electorate. Corbyn attempted that and was partially successful. I don't know what May attempted but it looked liked nothing.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You shouldn't. Don't listen to all the idiotic scare stories, The result will be a big fudge and everything will carry on as before. There really is no other possible outcome in the real world.

The important thing is we have drawn a line in the sand which will hopefully mean we will not drift along into becoming a region of a faceless European super-state. We'll never have the stupid currency and we won't have to fly their stinking flag anymore.
    As always on political matters we're complete opposites! I want to see a European super state, a U.S.E if you like, together we are stronger and a threat to the USA.. I want the currency, the flag, the European army, the lot!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Geoff.

Come on Jez. You know it makes sense to turn England into Europe's isolationist, war mongering equivalent to North Vietnam.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    As always on political matters we're complete opposites! I want to see a European super state, a U.S.E if you like, together we are stronger and a threat to the USA.. I want the currency, the flag, the European army, the lot!
    I don't have a problem with a European super-state, I just don't want this country to be part of it and I don't see why it needs to be. I suspect you will still be able to go and live there if that's what you want. The Soviet Union never turned anyone away who wanted to go and live there. It was people who lived there who were wanting to leave that they were not too keen on.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Grant.

I don't see point in superstates. They please very few. Super tradeblocks and freedom of movement within bounds of availability and with no social benefits for a predefined period I have no problem with.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Since the Brexit referendum and its consequences on the Conservative party we have had an entertaining year or so with the culmination in a calamitous election campaign .

This entertainment however has just been the warm up act for the main show when Brexit actually starts to be negotiated.

Political pundits, the media and the public are going to have a roller coaster time they will never forget.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Political pundits, the media and the public are going to have a roller coaster time they will never forget.
    I have visions of it all being incredibly dull and interminably boring.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I have visions of it all being incredibly dull and interminably boring.
    We will see Geoff, it hasn't been so far when you look at the consequences it has already unleashed.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast