+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: general election

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I think it was Gandhi who said something on the lines of "a nation may be judged on how it treats its sick, its elderly, its animals and its prisoners".
    I like that - how VERY true!!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    If you vote Tory you are saying "yep I've just condemned all of you, the poorest and neediest in my own street, to a worse life cos Tory tax policy means I (me me me!!!) can save a fiver a week towards my next foreign holiday/new car/ jacuzzi/whatever and I don't give a fuck what happens to my neighbours".
    Doesn't that mean it isn't the Conservative party which is the problem, it's the electorate? How you would deal with that problem, I have no idea - stop people from voting if they don't vote the way you want them to?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

I'm using the "definition" of such, as indicated by my eyes and ears, whenever listening to and watching him speak, which for me clearly indicates that, if he had his way, he'd indiscriminately banish ALL Muslim immigrants from the UK and prevent any more from entering the country. If that's not fundamentally racist, I don't know what is.

He has never said this - link me to one instance where he calls for expulsion of all muslims.

In any case a muslim can be of any ethnic background so quite how that links to white supremacy is a mystery to me,

As for the rest of it is just polemic. 'People starving on the streets'. Since when?

I live in the poorest area of the poorest city in the UK and I've never seen anyone starving on the streets.

I've also been as poor as it is possible to be in this country (single male, unemployed, no possessions or property, no savings.) I've had a couple of quid to last me the week and gone hungry many times. So don't lecture me on poverty because I've been there and done it.

You think the solution is to get Corbyn in and bankrupt the country?

The only people that won't hurt is the rich.

That's not to say that I think the Tories are a viable alternative because they are not. At best they are just less of a disaster than Labour. This is why I have not voted since 1987
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That's true. The very rich are immune to the ups and downs of the economy. The very richest people in the world have increased their wealth since the financial crash of 2007/2008.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Back in 1979 it was actually 1.5 million. It peaked at 3.2 million in 1982. It was last under a million in way back in 1973.
    Can we remember that this record unemployment is mainly down to zero hours contracts and the gig economy. They are not real jobs in the correct sense - they do not allow benefits - they hide the truth.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    He has never said this - link me to one instance where he calls for expulsion of all muslims.
    The key was in the bit where I wrote: "if he had his way", which of course he hasn't yet, and let's hope he never does either.

He hasn't actually said what I've intimated (of course not, or he would've been lambasted for it), but it would take the most non-astute (or deliberately blind) person not to see that that's what he would like to happen.

Farage is fundamentally a racist, or at the very least, someone who displays very obvious racist tendencies.

As for the rest of it is just polemic. 'People starving on the streets'. Since when?
    Lol... Here we go again, shades of your (now infamous) 'there are no food banks' comment! OPEN YOUR EYES, FFS, Martin, and have look at the world around you, out with of your own back yard.

Funny how every Sunday, I give a few pounds to one such homeless (obviously also severely malnourished) person, who [very politely and unobtrusively] begs outside our church - and if I then walked along to the local bus station, I'd almost certainly meet another 10 or 15 people like him.

And I've witnessed this, not just in Wrexham, but elsewhere in Wales and throughout the UK, especially when I was last up in Glasgow. Perhaps you don't get around enough to see these things, but I can assure you that they're as REAL as the nose on your face! And mate, it's a FUCKING DISGRACE, when it could so easily be eradicated.

I've also been as poor as it is possible to be in this country (single male, unemployed, no possessions or property, no savings.) I've had a couple of quid to last me the week and gone hungry many times. So don't lecture me on poverty because I've been there and done it.
    I'm not lecturing you on anything; merely responding to your previous post, whilst expressing and defending my contrary views. If you've been so poor in the past, then I'm rather shocked that you don't seem to show more empathy now towards those in similar (or worse) circumstances.

All you seem to do is defend the 'money men'. Sorry, but that's what comes across from the content of your posts to date on these topics.....

You think the solution is to get Corbyn in and bankrupt the country?

I don't believe that would happen, so we'll simply have to disagree on the issue of 'bankruptcy'.

All I know for sure is that the current "solution" clearly isn't working, so I'm willing to give Corbyn a chance to see what he can do, just as you did once with Thatcher, as I consider him as drastically 'the lesser evil' than the current only real alternative!

Let's hope that, in the fullness of time, my decision works out better than yours did...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Can we remember that this record unemployment is mainly down to zero hours contracts and the gig economy. They are not real jobs in the correct sense - they do not allow benefits - they hide the truth.
    Rather be on a zero hour contract than be a young person living in Spain over the last few years with youth unemployment
    at some incredible figure like 30% 40%.?

I'm Richie.

there mustn't be any starbucks in spain

If you eat or drink in Starbucks, in somewhere like Spain, then clearly you shouldn't be allowed to vote, or arguably allowed out unsupervised!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

Spain's problems are nothing to do with the EU - it's government stupidity and corruption.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects