+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Myself A Brand New Toy: Sony WM-D6C Pro-Walkman

I'm Nick.

Default Got Myself A Brand New Toy: Sony WM-D6C Pro-Walkman

One thing that I've wanted for a long time is a Sony Pro-Walkman. In fact I've wanted one since about 1984 when my dad bought a Sony catalogue home, around the time he bought a Beta Hi-Fi VCR (which I now have ) The price at the time way way out of my reach (£200 something). To rub salt into the wounds my brother bought one in the early 90's. He used it a lot for recording his own music (he played in a band) and the results were phenomenal whether from well-positioned mics or line-input. His was stolen after something like 10 years use. I was gutted 'cos I'd had my eye on it for a loonng time...

Last week I finally found myself a low-hours machine at a good price and it arrived today. New batteries and a quick clean of the pinch-rollers, and head... part of the standard ritual... and tried a tape. Firstly, a Maxell XL-II transfer of the Division Bell CD I did 15 years ago. Very nice. Utter clarity at the top end. Nil perceptible wow and flutter... Then, a vinyl transfer of Steve Hackett's Spectral Mornings from a TDK D90 that a friend did probably around 1989. It's a clean transfer, but to basic tape. Nevertheless the sound is completely clear; there's an openness at the top that only good tape playback achieves.

My Nak has a smidge more at the very top-end, and greater depth at the bottom, but that's to be expected. The fact is that the WM-D6 is well worthy of the accolades; and sounds a lot better than a lot of separate cassette decks I've heard. I think I might be finding excuses to listen to a lot of my old tapes again over the next few weeks!

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-d6c
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I had one of those for 20 years. I was my only tape machine. I sold it on eBay about 4 years ago. I still have the headphones it came with. Quite a remarkable box.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

On the mains, it's a good small version of Nakamichi's cheaper two head decks of the era (I compared the bloody things enough), but on batteries it's a fluttery disaster (experience over a good few samples too).

Try recording an oboe piece at the beginning of a tape using batteries to hear what I mean...

They don't take shedloads of thrashing either, those tiny parts aren't as durable as a full size machine IMO.

A vintage product to be cherished as a piece of history. Enjoy it as such
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

A chap came in the shop the other week with 4 of the things trying to get a new leather case for one of them... Or at least that's what he said I think it was just an excuse to show them off ...
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Jason.

I've got one kicking around somewhere. I actually used to go out with it but it sounded great. I've also got the Michelle Shocked album (Texas Campfire Tapes IIRC) which was, I believe, recorded on one.

Great bit of kit. What (if it isn't a rude question) are they fetching nowadays?

Jason
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Nick.

The walkmancentral link takes you to an interesting little write up, and their comment about the board redesign in later years is interesting. It is incredible how they were able to cram so much 'stuff' into such a small form factor, using predominantly discrete components. The thing still stands up today as a great example of cassette 'done well'. It's main disadvantage, IMO is the lack of a dual-capstan which is so important to really excellent tape transport, allowing the deck to compensate better for poor tape shells.

You're right, Jason, that Michelle Shocked's first album was recorded on one. She disowned the recording though, because it was released without her consent, and as the batteries ran down, the recording speed slowed. But despite her view, it is still a remarkable recording.

Mine cost me £70. That is on the slightly low side; recent eBay sales have finished anywhere between £75 and £150, and there's one chancer with a NOS boxed example for £320
    Nick
    My system...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, Nick. The Walkman Pro, in my experience, is WAY better (in terms of sound quality) than any bloody iPod!!

Enjoy yer new toy, dude

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The Walkman Pro, in my experience, is WAY better (in terms of sound quality) than any bloody iPod!!
    That's because you haven't listened to my iPod !!!
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

And probably not with decent headphones either, unless you're immune to wow & flutter and hiss of course - he's been listening to his Tannoys too loud with a clipping low powered amp and damaged his ears, that's what it is...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

I don't hear discernible wow and flutter when I listen to my tapes. I will definitely have to seek out some decent solo oboe to really be sure though!
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast