+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi there from a forty something rediscovering the joys of vinyl

I'm Lloyd.

Default Hi there from a forty something rediscovering the joys of vinyl

Hey everyone,

I'm Lloyd and have just signed up here as it seems to be a fantastic resource for all things SL-1210.

I've recently found vinyl again after many years of preferring digital convenience and listening to music on AV amps. That and having kids meant that audio took a back seat and I've had to keep things quiet for a few years. Actually, I never really heard a high-end system back when I was actively buying music in my teens and liked records more for their physicality and to mix and play around with dance type tracks. To me, digital was always a cleaner and more accurate sounding source for rock and 70s and 80s stuff.

Anyhow, earlier this year an audiophile friend suggested I try a Denon DL-110 cartridge as I was using an old bear up Stanton designed for DJ use. I gave it a go and was blown away by the detail it revealed on old vinyl that I'd listened to dozens of times before. It made music emotional again; I couldn't believe I was listening to the same records! Suddenly I was taken back to an era where music sounded good! Cymbals sounded like cymbals. I suddenly understood what a soundstage was. Depth and imaging appeared from nowhere, it was a truly incredible epiphany.

I've spent the last few months acquiring vinyl from my folk and finding my old stuff. A friend has leant me a stack of his old records that were sitting in his shed and I've been in audio heaven.

But this week disaster struck! I managed to drop my platter onto the deck, taking a chunk out of it, nailing the nearly new DL-110 cantilever and introducing a wobble to the platter with the LEDs pulsing. Not good.

On the plus side, my insurers settled a reasonable amount, so I might get the old one repaired and give it to a friend, so am in the market for a 'new' player.

I've emailed the very helpful Dave Cawley about a couple of decks on his website, so hopefully will be back with a working player soon. In the meantime, my vinyl looks very sorry for itself and unloved...

My setup is a modest old Technics AS-900SE Mk 2 pre-amp and power-amp with Dynaudio M20 speakers. To be honest the old damaged 1210 sounded so nice, any upgrade is going to be phenomenal!

I hope to stick around for a while, so be gentle!

Edit - I should say my other passion is restoring old arcade and pinball machines, so I know a fair bit about the perils, pitfalls and joys of working with decades old hardware!
    Last edited by Lloyd2084; 04-06-2017 at 21:18. Reason: Edit - to add music I like

I'm Taz.

Welcome to the forum Lloyd.

Loved playing arcades and pinball machines in the early 90's, spent many hours hiding away at the local cafe to my mum's disappointment ... have a few on my tablet that I often play but pinball is one of my favorites.

Regards,
    Taz

I'm Lloyd.

Hi there!

Yeah, there is something tactile about firing a steel ball bearing about in a mini 'world' that is impossible to recreate properly in the digital realm.

I currently have Metallica and No Fear Pinballs, an Asteroids DLX, Robotron, NBA Jam, Neo Geo and a generic cab I can play all the old classics in.

There was a big retro arcade event up in Brum near you a few weeks back at Walsall's stadium, maybe come along next year?

I'm Geoff.

Hello Lloyd. Welcome to AOS.

No doubt you've seen our Techiepedia, it's a great resource for Technics turntable fans. Shame you gave yours a battering, you could ask in the Private Exhibitions section for any spare parts you need or even a complete deck. You'd be surprised what can be found.

Anyway, take a look around and join in the chat. Folk here are friendly.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lloyd.

I'm going to try and get the old 1210 repaired and serviced. Hopefully it will live again.

In the meantime, I've taken the opportunity to upgrade to a mk5 with the Mike New platter, bracket and mat. I'm hoping that will give me a considerable boost in performance. I won't get it until the end of the month though, so it's a bit of pain not having access to a deck in the meantime!

I'm Lloyd.

Techiepedia is fab by the way, what a great resource!

+ Reply to Thread