+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hifi on A Shoestring

I'm tony.

A pair of JBL control 1 speakers and a temple audio bantum should just about fit in a shoe box-it would sound very respectable for a portable system. The Bantum works really well on batteries. One of Stans dacs would complement it niceley if you dont fancy the output from your devices headphone socket.

There is a battery powered t amp thread on here...well worth a mooch!!!

I'm Geoff.

I failed to mention that I owned an iconic travel hifi kit that spawned the t-amp movement. I bought it in the Virgin Megastore in LA on an R&R break. It comprised a Fisher Price looking plastic amp about the size of two fag packets (side by side). Powered by aa batteries or an (included) 12v wall wart power supply, the item was the now famous Sonic Unity Tripath Amp. It was partnered by a pair of pyramid shaped folding cardboard speakers (the Soundpax) which when assembled were a little bigger than traffic cones. The inner side of one face of the pyramid had an nxt style resonator affixed which produced a 360 degree soundwave. I had never heard of the tripath chip at that point but the store had set up the combo as a working demo powered by some noname cd walkman. At under $50 the purchase was a no-brainer. I can sense the incredulity of those reading this post when I say that the sound quality was amazing. The amp could fit in a jacket pocket and the speakers folded into their own triangular carrying case around the size of a badminton racket. They were surprisingly robust and travelled with me around the world fitting neatly into the top of a Samsonite shell case. They came to a tragic end though. I returned home to my apartment in Dhaka one evening to find that the air con has malfunctioned and the Soundpax lay in a poole of water, gradually collapsing into a papier mache mush! RIP Soundpax.

if anyone comes across a pair on ebay or elsewhere then snap them up.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

Whats a shoestrings worth?
    I hooked up my Yamaha NS-1000M's (€250) with my Xindak V15, EL34 PP, (€150) and a Pioneer PD-D6J SACD (€60) while a friend was visiting. We used home cooked cables for speakers and power and some very reasonably priced interconnects.
    Both of us were just baffled, why do we even spend more?

Same amp is doing service at my nephews, with a couple of Jamo Concert 8's and another find, a Linn Sondek LP12 (Valhalla/Ittok II)
    The Sondek is usually not found so cheaply but i could put in the PinkTriangle Little Pink Thing instead for a complete vinyl playback system for about €500-€550.
    (An old Lehmann Audio Black Cube does RIAA duties)

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Denon PMA 350SE is better than the Topping TP60.
    It is indeed Geoff I have 2 one in lounge and bedroom the difference with my old Nad amps was like night and day very musical indeed

danilo Guest

Denon PMA 350SE is better than the Topping TP60.
    And it Should be!
    Given that as Tripath .. Dissolved.. over 11 years ago.
    Any and All tripath chips (which Were surprisingly decent sounding) are Low Grade fakes.. some missing Half of the Tripath dies.

I'm paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Theres a lot of value in those Class T amps (Topping) £40 I think they are. A decent CD player on a budget like my Denon DCD825 cost me £16 & probably some Mission 780SE £40 and thats a very very good system for less than £100. In fact, I my just do that for my Garage

Good thread!!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
    i have a Sony receiver, cassette deck and a pair of audax drivers currently without boxes in my garage and don't actually think about the sound quality when I'm working on something. I have thought I might make some bass reflex boxes for the drivers and maybe combine them with some aurum cantus G2 ribbons I have spare. I understand what people mean when they say they just enjoy the music when they are doing something else with music more in the background
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paulf-2007 View Post
    i have a Sony receiver, cassette deck and a pair of audax drivers currently without boxes in my garage and don't actually think about the sound quality when I'm working on something. I have thought I might make some bass reflex boxes for the drivers and maybe combine them with some aurum cantus G2 ribbons I have spare. I understand what people mean when they say they just enjoy the music when they are doing something else with music more in the background
    I have a Technics system in the garage with my old Celestion DL6 speakers. I have electrical flex cable as speaker cable and tbh its great lol

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have a Technics system in the garage with my old Celestion DL6 speakers. I have electrical flex cable as speaker cable and tbh its great

That's good to hear - one wonders how people managed in the '60s; not being able to spend hundreds of pounds on cables?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234