+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backing up music files to the cloud

I'm Richard.

Default Backing up music files to the cloud

I run a HTPC as my server with two copies of my music on external hdds. I see a lot of people like to use cloud services such as Crashplan or Carbonite for backing up a library.

Are these two services better than using your average cloud storage provider? I've been thinking about using either Pcloud (prices are good) or Amazon (unlimited storage for £55).

What services if any are you people using besides backing up to NAS/external hdds?

If I go with the Amazon service, it has the added benefit of direct streaming from it with Bubble upnp directly to my music streamer should I decide to not use the pc.

I'm Barry.

I think the biggest issue with cloud storage is your internet upload speed, it took me a couple of hours to copy my music files to a external hard drive, I dread to think how long it would have taken to copy them to the cloud with my very slow upload speed. (less then 1 Mbit/sec).

I'm Richard.

Tell me about it! The initial upload would probably take weeks to do, however if you ran the service on a NAS that was on 24/7 you wouldn't really notice it...

I'm Colin.

Really like the idea of Amazon one. love to know what they mean by unlimited though.. I have 300 blu rays I am currently ripping that's going to chew roughly 9tb, alongside the 3tb of dvd rips and 1.5tb of music I have (haven't started ripping single artists yet!) are amazon really going to let me upload 13tb ish? Yes, would take an age to upload but I can deal with that.

I'm Richard.

Judging by what I've read on other forums, Yes! Unlimited means just that.

I'm Edward.

I've been using Crashplan for a few years now. Currently at about 2.1 tb (mixture of music, pictures and personal stuff). Initial upload of course takes time - but well worth it.

Also use Crashplan free on several computers (one in Sydney Oz) to backup to my server (which then gets backed up to Crashplan Central).

At times I have had to restore specific files/folders - worked perfectly.

I'm paranoid about security so use encryption - with super strong key.

Tried other cloud backup services, Crashplan was just the most easy to use and robust. One service I tried failed miserably with restore simply not working (the company said something must have been wrong with how I did things - which was an outright lie).

Ed
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Paul.

It'd probably be easier to buy another HDD (or HDDs) and just post it to someone or stick it in a safety deposit box, then either add to it every so often, or buy a USB stick every few months and use that. Unless you have a true fibre connection, uploading TB's will be pretty impractical.

+ Reply to Thread