+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: EAR 861 power amplifier

montesquieu Guest

Default FS: EAR 861 power amplifier

Selling my EAR Yoshino 861 ... regarded by many as the best sounding and certainly one of the more expensive valve amps in the EAR range.

Reluctantly letting this go to fund the rebuild of my Radford STA100 at Radford Revival where it has now gone for a ground up refurb.

Truly fantastic amp, Push pull, triode-strapped EL519s, putting out 32w per channel in Class A with massive current capability. Huge output transformers for 32w. Balanced and single ended inputs, input attenuators for in-room channel balance and preamp matching, can be strapped for a 64w monoblock, 4, 8 and 16 ohm taps for flexibility, and pretty cool looks. Not a mark on it, I don’t know how old it is but I’m told it was re-valved in 2013.

Having owned the EAR V20 and 899 integrateds I would say it's quite a bit more refined than either, with a lovely sweetness to it that belies the punch it also has - a rare combination indeed. (The 509 monoblocks which I've also owned also sound flat by comparison).

Tons of reviews online - 32w in class a is more than enough to drive my Tannoy HPDs.

I have the box and packing but would prefer if possible to have it collected or at least a meet-up in M3-M4-M25-A34 sort of area. Looking for £2700.
    Last edited by montesquieu; 06-06-2017 at 12:34.

montesquieu Guest

Happy to consider part-trade of a so long as I can still realise a sensible bit of cash from this - something with valves in obviously

For those who don't know it the 861 is one of the most highly regarded of the large EAR stable of power amps. The EL519 valve is very high current, so even triode strapped, it can produce 32w. Being a triode amp it has as a wonderful sweet and detailed presentation, while still having a serious punch and bass capability because it runs in pure class A.

It is known as the sweetest amp in the EAR range and if your speakers or listening habits don't need the 50w+ of the 534 or 70w+ of the 890 it is probably the best option of the lot.

I'm Adam.

Wonderful Amp Tom, GLWTS

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Happy to consider part-trade of a so long as I can still realise a sensible bit of cash from this - something with valves in obviously

For those who don't know it the 861 is one of the most highly regarded of the large EAR stable of power amps. The EL519 valve is very high current, so even triode strapped, it can produce 32w. Being a triode amp it has as a wonderful sweet and detailed presentation, while still having a serious punch and bass capability because it runs in pure class A.

It is known as the sweetest amp in the EAR range and if your speakers or listening habits don't need the 50w+ of the 534 or 70w+ of the 890 it is probably the best option of the lot.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Peter.

Having lived with quite a few of EAR's power amps over the years (509 monoblocks, 534, 859 and V20), I came to the conclusion that the 861 is TdP's masterpiece ... very happy with mine.

I'm not a user of electrostatic speakers, but this amp is reckoned by aficiniados to be the perfect match for Quad panel speakers.

Good price, too ... these are rarely seen on the second-hand market.

montesquieu Guest

Thanks Peter .. yes these are pretty rare ....

montesquieu Guest

SOLD

+ Reply to Thread