+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long term B&O/hifi fanatic saying hello ;-)

I'm Steve.

Thanks Geoff,

Will do!

Kind regards, Steve.
    My day job: Making bespoke audio cables
    My current kit: B&O Beosystem 3500, Royd Minstrels, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Kef Ci50R, B&O Beotime, B&O Beolab Penta III, B&O Beolab 3000, Behringer Xenyx 302USB, Acer H6510BD projector, GrandView 75" screen, Dell media PC.
    My website: www.soundsheavenly.com
    My email: steve@soundsheavenly.com

I'm Taz.

Welcome Steve,

Your system sounds lovely and the way you describe it conjures up images of some 80's view of a futuristic B&O kitted out home...
    Last edited by TazSob; 04-06-2017 at 13:01.

I'm Peter.

Hi Steve.
    Without my glasses, I read your post as 'long-time B&Q fanatic' ... now, that really would be worrying
    No real experience of B&O, but I do remember a fellow 1970s university student blowing his grant cheque on a brand new B&O system, and then living on beans on toast for months, so it must have been good stuff

I'm Steve.

Hi Peter,

That sounds just like my university experience (eating beans on toast to afford B&O) - not the B&Q fanatic bit

Having old B&O is like living on the bridge of the Starship Enterprise (1970's version) just as Taz described.......
    My current kit: B&O Beosystem 3500, Royd Minstrels, Beolab 8000, Beolab 6000, Kef Ci50R, B&O Beotime, B&O Beolab Penta III, B&O Beolab 3000, Behringer Xenyx 302USB, Acer H6510BD projector, GrandView 75" screen, Dell media PC.

I'm Josie.

Hi Steve.

I remember buying some cables from you quite a while back. Excellent job too!

Welcome and enjoy AOS
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Steve.

Thanks Josie!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Steve,

Yes I'm a bit of a B&O fan too. Despite being disparagingly called "Habitat Hi-Fi" by ill-informed detractors, B&O make some very good gear.

I have a few items: a B&O 1700 tuner, and I'm a big of a fan of their MM cartridges.

Not quite a fan of B&Q though!

Shame about the Quad gear though - my wife bought me my pair of 57s as a wedding present, and I'm an even bigger Quad fan.

Enjoy the Forum
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Phil.

ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Steve.

Thanks Phil and Barry,

I had the pleasure of hearing the jaw-dropping Beolab 90 speakers at the ISE trade fair when they were launched - Geoff Martin who designed them for B&O is a friend of mine, so I got to see some pictures of the prototypes along the way

They may not be truly transparent "audiophile" speakers in the way that their predecessors Beolab 5 were, but they use state of the art DSP to adapt the music to the room so effectively that the sound literally seems to come to life all around you. The effect is so incredibly good that it has to be heard to be believed.

Rumour has it that a "little brother" of Beolab 90 will be launched imminently, to be pitched at around half the price but using much of the same technology, these will be sold as Beolab 50.

I share Barry's love of the MMC cartridges that B&O made back in the 1990s, I had new ones made for me by Sound Smith in USA and they really are good. If I recall correctly, B&O actually designed a special stylus tip profile (the "Pramanik" profile?) which corrected the inherent tracking errors between the two channels on the disc.

I wish my wife would buy me some nice speakers, I've been hinting for 20 years now.......

Kind regards, Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12