+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Timestep power supply

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Thats correct - sounds like no earth issues for the power supply.
    I've been having a dig round on some old posts here and I found the following post by Mark Grant referring to the DSP 1.0 cable that I have:

"2 x 1.0 mm twisted cores and lots of screening (the screen would need to be earthed at the PSU end in the XLR etc)"

So I think I've sorted that one!
    Last edited by Simon_Nottingham; 05-06-2017 at 10:43.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycleallday View Post
    Have you tried contacting Dave Cawley at Timepstep/Sound Hifi for instructions - contact details below?
    I did email Timestep directly, but didn't receive a reply. I've emailed Sound HiFi. Thanks.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Nottingham View Post
    I did email Timestep directly, but didn't receive a reply. I've emailed Sound HiFi. Thanks.
    Dave has replied and will post instructions to me. Great service.

I'm Mick.

Simon,Here you go I don't know if they will help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Simon.

Super! Thanks, really useful.

I think with this, a few posts here and (most usefully) Dave Cawley very helpfully posing me a set of instructions, I'll get it sorted now.

Cheers!

Mike_New Guest

Hi Simon,
    It's Sunday morning here and I've just dialed in to see what the activity is these days.
    If you have (or are getting) the instructions from DC; Unless he has modified them, they will instruct you to connect the 0V (black wire) to the top RH screwed
    support of the PCB.
    This location on the PCB does not have any direct connection to the 0-Volt via the copper tracks. And is incorrect!
    At this point It's only path for the return current is down through the chassis via the self tap screw to the bottom LH screw which DOES have a direct copper connection to the PCB common 0-volt rail. Where the full wave rectifier and primary smoothing capacitor are located.
    This situation was high-lighted some 3-4 years ago by myself and verified and expanded on by Martin Taylor and others.
    Your SL1200 will still work but the DC supply to the PCB components will have less than an ideal electrical path/circuit

I'm Simon.

Hi Mike.

The instructions did indeed say to connect to the top right screw. I did this and the turntable did not work (i.e. the power switch did not light up (I wired the power switch into the circuit) and pressing the Start/Stop button did nothing). Following various old discussions on here I waded through I connected it to the bottom left and all works fine.

I'm Mick.

Glad you got there in the end Simon. I followed advice on here and connected the earth to the bottom left hand corner and never had any issues
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

Mike_New Guest

It is really very sad that someone who claims to supply upgrades to the audio fraternity cannot accept that he has made a mistake and do the right thing by his customers. And whose ego will not allow him to correct it. Even after over 5 years of people commenting on the situation, the instruction manual is still not corrected according to Simon.
    It is not as though the error in placement of the earth point is to do with signal level currents only. Here we are talking about the return path for the total current drawn by the whole of the PCB control unit and motor coils.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12