+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timestep power supply

I'm Simon.

Default Timestep power supply

Hi. I've just bought a Timestep HE power supply from here for my 1210. It didn't come with the original lead, just a Mark Grant cable with + and - at one end and + - and ground at the other.

The psu has a 4 pin locking connector. It looks to me to be the same as a CB radio mic connector - if so, that's easily sourced from eBay.

I have instructions for fitting the turntable end, but I'm not sure which wires go to which pins at the psu end.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

I'm Simon.

Has anyone got any advice?

I've taken the back off the Timestep and I know where to wire the + & - (only two pins are connected- red & black) but does the ground connect to the psu end or the technics end?

Anyone?

I'm Kevin.

I would say that the ground went at the Technics end as it serves no purpose at the PSU end (as the pins are not connected in the PSU) but I would contact the guy you bought it off for confirmation as to where it goes, and what it does.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Simon.

Will do. But if it's not connected at the psu end what purpose would it serve ?

I'm Mel.

The main thing you need to avoid is an earth loop caused by connecting different items in your system to different earths. It is not uncommon for a modern PSU to not have an earth connected to its mains plug if it is insulated. If the Mark Grant cable has 3 wires just remember it is not the dedicated lead and may have a cable which is not required. If you have taken the top off the psu you should be able to see if the mark grant earth lead, or the psu output (DC) socket earth pin is connected to the PSU case. If not then there is no point in connecting the lead to any other device at present.

You should have an earth lead from your Technics connected to your phono and then possibly to your amp. Ignore the output (DC) psu cable earth for now and report back if you here any buzzing. Don't worry the psu will be earthed via its input lead if it is necessary so you will have no risk of mains shock.

Mel

I'm Simon.

Thanks. That's really useful.

The instructions I've seen are just mentioning ÷ive & -ive connections, but then there was a rather fractious debate from here about ground leads. I'll give it a go and see where I get to.

Cheers

Simon

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Nottingham View Post
    Thanks. That's really useful.

The instructions I've seen are just mentioning ÷ive & -ive connections, but then there was a rather fractious debate from here about ground leads. I'll give it a go and see where I get to.

Cheers

Simon

Simon

If you can wait until tomorrow I will open mine up and take a few pics if that helps you.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Simon.

Perfect. Thanks

I'm Simon.

I can see that the lead on the right (as you look from the back) is black and the right is red. The top and bottom pins aren't connected. So I'm assuming connect to those two and ignore the ground. As the Technics deck only has a two pin mains lead and the power supply is 21v there should be no issues.

Last edited by Simon_Nottingham; 05-06-2017 at 10:27.

I'm Mel.

Thats correct - sounds like no earth issues for the power supply. Have you tried contacting Dave Cawley at Timepstep/Sound Hifi for instructions - contact details below?

There were several versions of this power supply and a couple of connection options depending on what switching controls you want to retain. I also think at least one (if not all) bypass the Technics regulator so you may need to be looking beyond just connecting the psu output lead to the obvious Technics dc input points (that is the input points the Technics psu use)

Sound Hi Fi
    PO Box 2001 Dartmouth Devon TQ6 9QN Great Britain
    Telephone 01803 833366 Fax 01803 839498 e-mail sales@SoundHiFi.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast