+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SL1210 - SDS, Technics, Herbies's way or a combination?

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by rubber duck View Post
    Tap the edge of the platter with and without the rubber mat or any other mat. It will be obvious!
    Indeed. I used an acrylic platter on my SL1210, killed the ringing stone dead.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Alex.

Hi Everyone

To conclude feedback on my experiment I have found the best sound seems to be with the SDS mat (the right way up), and Herbie's way mat on top.

There seems to be a slight step in the spindle that stops the sds mat sitting completely flat against the platter - I guess the precise height of the platter will vary very slightly depending on the mating of the hole in the platter to the bearing spindle taper. If the sds mat is slightly dished, it means that it sits on the perimeter of the platter whereas it doesn't the other way up.

Anyway, i went through a full setup - alignment, tracking weight, vta and azimuth and it really is sounding good now. It's a very worthwhile improvement and everything now gels nicely where it sounded a little thin in the mids and bloated in the bass.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Regards,
    Alex

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Indeed. I used an acrylic platter on my SL1210, killed the ringing stone dead.
    Neil, I'm interested to understand how you got the acrylic platter to work. I'm assuming that you somehow screwed/bolted the magnetic ring that is part of the original platter to the underside of the acrylic one but doesn't that make the platter ride high?
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Neil, I'm interested to understand how you got the acrylic platter to work. I'm assuming that you somehow screwed/bolted the magnetic ring that is part of the original platter to the underside of the acrylic one but doesn't that make the platter ride high?
    Oops, I meant mat, or 'platter mat'... :P

http://srm-tech.co.uk/epages/4c00892.../Products/APM1

I used tiny tiny blobs of blutack to fix to the technics platter & killed all ringing stone dead.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123